subwoofer setup recommendation

Hello everyone. I figured I would ask and see what people have been running for subwoofers in their truck. I have a 12" DC audio level 3 subwoofer that I built with level 4 soft parts in a ported enclosure. I had previously used this sub in my 2004 GMC Envoy and it sounded great in that truck but in my silverado it sounds really muffled even with the doors/windows open. I only played around with having it so it's sub forward and port upward behind the driver seat. I didn't have the room from just testing it to lay it down on the floor and see how it sounds having the port fire to the side or middle of the truck. When I tested it out in the truck I had it turned up all the way and it definitely wasn't loud compared to my Envoy. I know the envoy has far more cabin space to fill but you would think the silverado would be louder being it's a smaller cab space.

Has anyone built something bigger than the under seat mount enclosures and if so how did you face it and where did you put the port? I found other truck enclosures that are large under seat boxes that port out the middle where the hump is in the floor but my sub is far too tall to fit under the seat and I really don't want to buy another sub to make it fit this truck.

Let me know if you have a box that is not your typical under the seat enclosure and how you faced it in the truck. My next time I wanted to try my girlfriends small enclosure that is a sealed 10 to see if sealed sounds better in this truck. I really like ported enclosures though but if sealed sounds better in this type of cab I wouldn't mind going that route either.

I'm running a pair of SSA F8Ls 8" ported under the seat. Subs are forward fire and port is to the side on the drivers side. Running on a DD M2a so 2k ish. They surprised the crap out of me for a pair of 8s. I built a 2" seat lift to fit them though.

Waaaaay better than the 12w6 sealed I had downfire where the 40 portion of the bench was folded up

Edited by YukonXL04
  • Like 1

2 12” Sundown Audio Down firing in a sealed box. The 12’s are there low profile design for small air space.(can’t remember the model number). Need a 2” rear seat lift kit. Mine sounds great. I run a 1100.5 Sundown amp that lowers all speakers really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your input. I never received the notification on here about your posts which is strange. 

I played around with my current box and found that putting the larger split bench up and having the sub face forward with the port aimed at the middle of the rear seat sounds the loudest. Firing it at either door even if the port was 8" away would almost kill the sound and only gave vibration from the low notes. I was trying to sync the music on my phone with the music in my truck though so they were slightly off which may have caused that problem so i'm not sure.

What did you do with the amp? I saw a few posts where people mounted them to the rear of the cab behind the seat and I want to do that as well if I can fit my amp back there but wasn't sure how everything lined up for bolt holes. I don't want to mess with the seat belt or the anchor bolts behind the seat unless I have to. I didn't modify the rear seats yet to make it so I could pull the seat up and unhook the back and pull that forward to get behind the seats.

My plan was to take my DC audio 5.0k amp and hook that up to the back wall of the cab on a sheet of MDF and have my Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 mounted under the smaller rear seat and make a little leg extension for my sub enclosure to fit on the drivers side since it's longer than the hump in the floor. I don't personally trust construction adhesive like I read some did for mounting the sheet to the wall.

Going through the sheet metal and having a screw protrude to the outside doesn't sound good for water intrusion or rusting. If there is something where it's like 2 layers of metal in the back I would do that for sure. I didn't tear into it yet to see though but if it's just a single layer of metal which is the outside part of the cab I am not going to put a hole in it and have the risk of water intrusion or rust start.