'13 Sierra purchase - need opinions

New to this forum but on many others.  My lease is up on 2016 Sierra SLT.  Buyout is more than i want to pay.  Looking at a 2013 Sierra SLT with 80,000 miles for $19k.  I only drive about 7k a year, i would like this truck to get me through the next 4 years.  I've read a lot of info on here about oil consumption and AFM issues.  Sounds like its a very low % of trucks with this issue.  I'm nervous about purchasing the 13 because of the issues, should i be?  Anything i can look for to determine if it has oil consumption or AFM issues when i look at the truck?

Thanks

Jason - Hinckley OH

Untitled.jpg

No sure fire method I know.

That year has all the updates to the engine related to the oil consumption issue.

Same truck as my 2012 just a year newer. Same color, wheels, Z71 and extended cab.

I would listen to the motor with the hood up and give it a good going over.

Take a varied test drive. Stop and go, freeway, get on it.

If it's on a lot have them put it on a lift and check the under carriage.

Check trans fluid for color.

My 2012 was bought with 41 K miles and has been good.

spacer.png

Good Luck.

:)

• Like 1

I have my son's 2012 in the shop now. Engine out and at machine shop for rebuild. It has 123k on the clock and he's spent around 3k figuring out the AFM issue's so far..  Now were doing it the right way. Remove that shit!!   Will have around 3k in rebuild, I pulled the engine and hauled it to the Machinist. Your used truck?  Its a gamble... feel lucky?  What was changed on the 13's? 

I would not go over 5 K mile oil changes.

I do 3 K on mine.

The motor has gotten quieter since I got it and I believe the more frequent oil changes is why.

I'm at 69 k miles.

:)  

I have my son's 2012 in the shop now. Engine out and at machine shop for rebuild. It has 123k on the clock and he's spent around 3k figuring out the AFM issue's so far..  Now were doing it the right way. Remove that shit!!   Will have around 3k in rebuild, I pulled the engine and hauled it to the Machinist. Your used truck?  Its a gamble... feel lucky?  What was changed on the 13's? 

Trade in value has really dropped on these trucks. Local shop has replaced 4 engines on 12's and prior. Other's have just takin the hit on trade..  My dad has a 13 but less than 20k on it.. No issue's. 

Get the VIN#.

Have any GM dealer's service department pull up the warranty history for you.

If there were any issues, repeated water leak, AFM problems it would be found there.

2013's still had the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty. ?