2002 silverado 2500HD

LMacinWP

Question

I recently purchased this vehicle with 153,000 miles in excellent condition. He has always used Valvoline 5w30 for his oil changes every 3,000 miles. I was thinking about using Valvoline 5w30 high mileage synthetic now. Will that be a problem? Thanks. Larry

00Y0Y_4PITotF8s3Q_1200x900.jpg

3 answers to this question

It will be no problem to switch. I've done it before, including switching from conventional to full synthetic with no issues. If you do, you could probably stretch the oil change intervals too (especially with highway driving), just my opinion. I usually push 5-6000 in any vehicle running synthetic and a good filter; more if it's a modern vehicle.

The mileage on the truck over the age of the truck with getting oil changes every 3k works out to exactly 4 oil changes a year.  Just saying.

No issue at all to switch to full synthetic oil now.  I also agree with the previous suggestion of extending oil change interval to at least 5k. I am not a believer in the oil filter drama, have never had any first hand experience with any oil filter failures, in any filter brand.  To me, any filter sold in a major auto parts store will last a lot longer that you will be going drive it.