2016 Silverado A/C Question

So I bought a 2016 Silverado a few months ago. The vehicle has 49k on it now. The air quit blowing cold. I looked under the hood and noticed metal shavings under the a/c compressor. I'm taking it to the dealership in a couple of days to have it looked at. I'm finding all this information regarding A/C issues. Some of the information says the condenser is bad, and some of it says the a/c compressor is bad as well. Can anyone give me any opinions as to what the main issues are with the a/c components on these vehicles. I got the feeling talking to the service department where I bought my truck they are going to down play the issues I'm reading about online.

I'm not sure if the condenser can cause the compressor to go bad or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, MarkW73 said:

So I bought a 2016 Silverado a few months ago. The vehicle has 49k on it now. The air quit blowing cold. I looked under the hood and noticed metal shavings under the a/c compressor. I'm taking it to the dealership in a couple of days to have it looked at. I'm finding all this information regarding A/C issues. Some of the information says the condenser is bad, and some of it says the a/c compressor is bad as well. Can anyone give me any opinions as to what the main issues are with the a/c components on these vehicles. I got the feeling talking to the service department where I bought my truck they are going to down play the issues I'm reading about online.

I'm not sure if the condenser can cause the compressor to go bad or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are numerous issues with AC systems and GM has taken care of most things....IF it's Lines,Condenser etc. they will cover most or all repairs etc.  If the Compressor fails they will not?  This is what you should go with....they will not down play the issue.  What do they care either GM pays, you or combination of the two.

there is special coverage on the condenser if it falls under this it will be replaced under warranty. the shavings under the compressor idk. if the compressor cracked then it would need to be replaced. i do ac at the gmc dealer i work for. typically 1.0 for diag 1.4 to evac/charge system + labor for the compressor. if i remember correctly the compressor is a few hundred dollars. looks like its 1.7 labor for the compressor. 

so 4.1 total for the compressor + parts/tax typical shop per hour $150ish so $900-$1100 for this repair. 

condenser if not covered under special coverage would be 1.0 diag  + 1.4 evac/charge (this what we do at my dealership might be different else where ) 6 hrs labor + parts/tax 

so total of 8.4 hours X $150 $1250 + parts/tax