Hi.

Background:

I have a black 1981 GMC K1500 pickup with a short box that I bought new back on May 1, 1981. It is very well maintained and very clean. Other than 3 winters back in 1981, it hardly even sees rain. Currently 85,000 miles. I drive it about 1,500 miles/year, I don’t off road, and I drive very easy. I just installed a set of P285 70’s on Mickey Thompson 17 X 9 wheels with a ¾ offset. No rust, some typical paint chips.

Problem:

For many years now the steering has been VERY sloppy, and getting worse mile by mile. I just had the front end checked and aligned with the latest Hunter digital equipment to no avail.

What To Do:

I’m thinking it is the steering box and/or the steering shaft. Does this make sense?

Does anyone recommend a particular steering box and shaft? I can’t imagine that GM has them in stock?

What kind of dollars is a steering box and shaft worth, and approximately how many hours would it take to change them?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M…..