Is the 4.3 V6 reliable?

I came across a low mile 2003 with the 4.3, manual trans. I don't need to tow anything. The truck will be a commuter and haul stuff from Home Depot and take gardening waste to the dumpster. I had a 2003 Silverado with the 5.3 engine, and it was great. This time around, I don't need the power anymore. And how is the MPG between the 2 engines? Any opinions are appreciated.

Thank  you!

Edited by Annona

Yes,

Great engines and paired with a manual transmission makes it even better. If cared for you could drive that till you could no longer drive. I have seen farm trucks with the same combo that look like hammered dog Shi* and still run and drive with that combo.

There are a couple of members here that constantly extol the virtues of the 4.3 L so I'm sure they'll be chiming in soon. As far as the 3 pedal set-up, I like that too!  As long as you don't have a lot of stop and go traffic or live in a hilly city. It wasn't the truck manufacturers decision to kill manual transmissions in light duty trucks, blame it on the EPA, the cost of certifying and meeting emission and mileage standards brought that about. I grew up on a farm many moons ago, learning the art of double clutching before full synchromesh transmissions and split shifting 2 speed rear ends, so I say hell yeah, go with a good manual tranny truck if it works for you!