Silverado Coilover install

I’d have RC adjust em for the lift you want. That’s unbelievable you can only adjust them off the truck. Coilovers should be able to be adjusted when they’re mounted up.  I’m a fan of RC as I have their 7” lift with their lifted struts and Vertex rear shocks. 

I was gonna pull the trigger on the Vertex coil overs but having to adjust them with coil compressors and what not is kind of disheartening 

there is no way you’ll get some spring compressors in there with the struts mounted up. 

So, I had a conversation with Rough Country yesterday on there recommended way to adjust these. They are saying you can easily adjust the coils while in the truck. Just lift the truck and take the load off the spring. After that you can loosen the jam nut and be able to turn the spring seat adjustment without removing the coil-over. This is only recommended for small adjustments. If you need to tighten the nut way further, then they recommend using a coil spring compressor tool. 

I have seen the aluminum nut get heavy damage as well as the threads on the collar by adjusting it on the truck. A single stainless washer protects the nut but the amount of preload on the threads will not change. I have seen over the years guys spray lubricants on threads even grease them. However this holds dirt and makes it even harder.
Trust me go more then you need not the bench and adjust later.
Some nuts are cut and have a screw to tighten them up as a 3rd mechanical lock and you make it easier to adjust. Maybe but I feel that is a bad design.
Get a air gun and the large outside mount spring compressor tools. Do both side slow and even.
I have broken a few sets of those. And when they let go you pray you hands are not in there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm still going to use a compression tool for sure. I dont want to chance messing up those threads. This is the one I am ordering. Seems simple enough and great reviews. Should fit right in front of coil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Macpherson-Interchangable-Compressor-Extractor/dp/B017H1AWMK?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_15709061_1&pf_rd_r=SS25V8AWZACQWHQ8ZS2R&pf_rd_p=f1b70a44-3b0c-52c7-8de1-b42379d13180&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=15709061&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

On 9/24/2019 at 9:12 AM, gapple12 said:

I was told they are set for a 6" lift factory but can be adjusted up to a 8" if needed. 

7 hours ago, gapple12 said:

So, I had a conversation with Rough Country yesterday on there recommended way to adjust these. They are saying you can easily adjust the coils while in the truck. Just lift the truck and take the load off the spring. After that you can loosen the jam nut and be able to turn the spring seat adjustment without removing the coil-over. This is only recommended for small adjustments. If you need to tighten the nut way further, then they recommend using a coil spring compressor tool. 

This is good news. I could be mistaken but I think turning the spring adjuster counter clockwise is how you raise them. If that’s the case you Shouldn’t need to compress them as you’d be loosening it. I think you “tighten” the adjuster to lower it. A compressor would make sense then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my coilovers installed, but as I figured I need another 1.5” of lift to be back where I was before with the strut spacer. When adjusting these, if I need 1.5” of lift, does that mean I need to adjust the spring nut down 1.5” lower or does it only need a few turns to make a big difference? I’m stuck in my garage right now trying to adjust these. I am using a spring compressor with taking the load off and have one turned about 1/2”.