Silverado Coilover install

I just purchased some new Vertex coil-overs for my 17 silverado. It currently has the Fabtech 6" lift with spacer over the stock strut. I've done all the research I can find on how to do this job. Seems the hardest part will be removing and installing the coil-over into the tight spot. I think I will pick up a coil spring compression tool to help get it out instead of using a pry bar like others have done. I am looking at this spring compressor(link below) on amazon, curious if it will work for me or not. Not sure if i can fit it in there on both sides of the spring ? Any input on the tool and install is appreciated. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hiltex-50604-Compressors-Heat-Treated-Suspension/dp/B002GQD2P6/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3C4YJFA30ZUFW&keywords=coil+spring+compressor+tool&qid=1569329225&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sprefix=coil+spring+%2Caps%2C686&sr=8-14

I just purchased some new Vertex coil-overs for my 17 silverado. It currently has the Fabtech 6" lift with spacer over the stock strut. I've done all the research I can find on how to do this job. Seems the hardest part will be removing and installing the coil-over into the tight spot. I think I will pick up a coil spring compression tool to help get it out instead of using a pry bar like others have done. I am looking at this spring compressor(link below) on amazon, curious if it will work for me or not. Not sure if i can fit it in there on both sides of the spring ? Any input on the tool and install is appreciated. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hiltex-50604-Compressors-Heat-Treated-Suspension/dp/B002GQD2P6/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3C4YJFA30ZUFW&keywords=coil+spring+compressor+tool&qid=1569329225&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sprefix=coil+spring+%2Caps%2C686&sr=8-14

They are easy. Jack the truck up by the frame, take tires off. I usually take the nut off the tie rod end and the upper ball joint and pop the joints loose. Then remove the lower two strut bolts then the very top 3 and the strut and spacer come out together. Then it goes back the same way it came apart

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

With out seeing what you have it is hard to say. But a must have is the washers and roll bearing washer. DO NOT INSTALL WITHOUT. Grease them and install on bench and you will be happy every time you have to adjust them. 

Commonly what we did was run the math and set it up out of the vehicle. We had a wall mounted compression tool and would go over where when thought we needed the spring at. As the vehicle will settle and it is easier to loosen the coil nuts then it is to tighten them. Then we had a side road and would drive at 15mph swinging the vehicle side to side to force the settle and come back measure. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

They are easy. Jack the truck up by the frame, take tires off. I usually take the nut off the tie rod end and the upper ball joint and pop the joints loose. Then remove the lower two strut bolts then the very top 3 and the strut and spacer come out together. Then it goes back the same way it came apart

OK, so removing the tie rod and upper ball joint bolts will release the spring and let it slide right out ? I'm sure I will need a ball joint separator tool ?

15 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

With out seeing what you have it is hard to say. But a must have is the washers and roll bearing washer. DO NOT INSTALL WITHOUT. Grease them and install on bench and you will be happy every time you have to adjust them. 

Commonly what we did was run the math and set it up out of the vehicle. We had a wall mounted compression tool and would go over where when thought we needed the spring at. As the vehicle will settle and it is easier to loosen the coil nuts then it is to tighten them. Then we had a side road and would drive at 15mph swinging the vehicle side to side to force the settle and come back measure. 

Not sure I understand, your talking about the adjustment ring and jam nut on top ?

Vertex.png

Here is how Rough Country recommends adjusting the coilover. They say to use a compression tool to relieve the jam nut pressure. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921104020.pdf

Ya it probably is best to remove some pressure before you adjust them so you dont mess up threads. I would imagine they would come ore set from RC?

I am wanting to adjust my king coil overs so the truck is higher in the front. Since the original install, the front has settled a lot. I want to get the truck level again. Do I have to remove the coil overs from the truck to adjust? I would like to be able to do this without removing them. Anyone know any tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

So are you wanting to adjust the coilover for more than 6" lift?

I might go a little higher than the 6" if they are equal to what I am running now. I wont know till I get them on.