V6 4.3L need recommendations for exhaust and cold air intake

Dersch

Looking to add a cold air intake to my truck. It's a 4.3L so I know im limited. Im just looking to open up the intake from stock and help it breath. K&n series 63 ($280) vs airraid mxp ($400). 

I'd like to add an exhaust to give it a smidge of sound but I absolutely do not want to hear a drone on the highway or have it sound like a Honda civic go kart. Currently I have single side exit exhaust. 

Am I able to convert to dual rear exit exhaust? 

I've read pretty good reviews about the MBRP 3" installer series exhaust. 

Are exhausts something I can do myself in the garage or am I better off leaving it for an exhaust shop to do? 

Whats the thoughts on custom exhausts from a shop vs buying something prebuilt ?

Know what I like about the factory system. It last a long time. You want more noise? Okay, your a hose clamp away. Clamp the flapper open. Not loud enough? Side exit from stainless TIG welded to the cut off stock pipe behind the flapper (retained). Exit before the rear wheel in any shape you can dream up and fabricate. Need more noise? Buy a bail bond. :crackup:

From a flow standpoint the factory unit has it covered. From a noise standpoint either of your choices will work. Thing is the big box everyone hates so much is a tuned device. A Helmholtz resonator. Not for sound as much as air flow 'shock absorber' of sorts. But yes sound as well. Removing it will make the motor more....shall we say....peaky. 

I have the MBRP 409 stainless single out let on my 4.3 v6.

I like the way it sounds. 

I would get the stainless version instead of the installer series. Amazon has them at a good price and sometimes Summit Racing has them on sale.

You can install it yourself in a couple hours. You will need a new clamp for where in connects to the catalytic converter. o'reilly auto parts have the clamp or amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Walker-36522-Clamp/dp/B00Q0DMZSQ/ref=pd_cp_263_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=ETHAARN5KSGZ0X3FXV9Y&pd_rd_wg=tgKAH&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=a8E3B&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=9efc0f51-f298-11e8-a8c6-1b706237d91c&pd_rd_i=B00Q0DMZSQ&psc=1&refRID=ETHAARN5KSGZ0X3FXV9Y

Here is a video of it on mine. 

Edited by AtlasFBG2

7 minutes ago, AtlasFBG2 said:

I have the MBRP 409 stainless single out let on my 4.3 v6.

I like the way it sounds. 

I would get the stainless version instead of the installer series. Amazon has them at a good price and sometimes Summit Racing has them on sale.

Here is a video of t on mine. 

Damn that does sound pretty good! Do you get a drone ever?

12 minutes ago, AtlasFBG2 said:

I have not noticed any drone. 

Here is another video at road speed. 

Did you install yourself? 

Do you find it to be too loud or annoying on the highway cruising at 80 mph?

So this is the MBRP XP series?

Edited by Dersch

12 minutes ago, Dersch said:

Did you install yourself? 

Do you find it to be too loud or annoying on the highway cruising at 80 mph?

Yes I put it on myself.

If you remove your spare tire then put a jack under hitch or bump and raise the back till the tires are almost off the ground you can remove your stock exhaust without cutting it. You have to turn it and slide it out the passenger side of truck.

You will have to replace the clamp I listed in the first post. Unless you can get bolt off if the truck don't have many miles on it.

No I don't think it is too loud or annoying.

Edited by AtlasFBG2

6 minutes ago, AtlasFBG2 said:

Yes I put it on myself.

If you remove your spare tire then put a jack under hitch or bump and raise the back till the tires are almost off the ground you can remove your stock exhaust without cutting it. You have to turn it and slide it out the passenger side of truck.

You will have to replace the clamp I listed in the first post. Unless you can get bolt off if the truck don't have many miles on it.

No I don't think it is too loud or annoying.

Sounds good. I have a 6" lift so I wonder if that would help get it off easier 

6 minutes ago, AtlasFBG2 said:

Yea that would make removal easier. Doubt you would have to raise the back of truck any. Spare tire might still be in the way.

Awesome. Definitely going to looking into this now. Think an exhaust would be a nice touch. This seems like it's not annoying but still had a little bit of sound to it 

Edited by Dersch

As far as a cold air intake, you are better off installing a K&N replacement filter for your stock filter. Cold air intake systems are just a fad and look cool. Air coming in through your fender through the stock system is actually cooler then what the cold air systems breath in installed under the hood. Don't waste you money. 

I had an intake and did muffler swap and ran that for a year...

Went back to stock, truck runs so much better and quieter and i can use V4 mode again..

I had loud and super loud cars in my teens but i like quirt better now :) When i buy a fox body stang tho, i will make it sound nice.