No 4x4

Alex4630

Question

I have a 2002 silverado 1500 5speed tranny with the manual transfer case. My 4wd light on the dash does not light up at all. The transfer case will shift into neutral, and 4x4 low, and the front axle actuator is new and does engage and disengages when i shift the transfer case into and out of 4x4 but the front wheels do not engage and i have no 4wd light. I figured if i was in 4low and my rear wheels were in 4low that the transfer case is working. 

3 answers to this question

So, when you shift into 4hi or 4lo, you can raise one of the front wheels and it will spin, and you can't spin the front driveshaft by hand?

And you've unscrewed the front diff actuator, and see that it goes in & out as you shift between 2wd and 4wd?

If everything is "yes", then most likely the locking gear or the passenger side stub axle has broken (it could also be something else in the front diff, but those are the most common parts to break).

But, re-reading your post, you say the 4wd light doesn't come on, which it should if everything is working, but the parts inside the diff are busted.

I would suggest re-checking that the front diff actuator is actually going in and out properly.  If if is, and the light on the dash doesn't come on, then it's a wiring problem, as well as something busted in the diff.

12 hours ago, davester said:

So, when you shift into 4hi or 4lo, you can raise one of the front wheels and it will spin, and you can't spin the front driveshaft by hand?

And you've unscrewed the front diff actuator, and see that it goes in & out as you shift between 2wd and 4wd?

If everything is "yes", then most likely the locking gear or the passenger side stub axle has broken (it could also be something else in the front diff, but those are the most common parts to break).

But, re-reading your post, you say the 4wd light doesn't come on, which it should if everything is working, but the parts inside the diff are busted.

I would suggest re-checking that the front diff actuator is actually going in and out properly.  If if is, and the light on the dash doesn't come on, then it's a wiring problem, as well as something busted in the diff.

Thanks! Just pulled the front diff actuator and it was not moving in or out when shifting from 2-4wd so going to start there and see if it’s getting power to it! Thanks!

13 hours ago, davester said:

Thanks for the input! I found i did not have ground, found by research that is under the driver side door on the cab, sure enough the wires were corroded and one broke. Cleaned the area and wires and new connector on it and it works!