2004 suburban engine swap from Silverado. Will it work?

I’ve got a 2004 suburban with a bad 5.3doesnt run. I have a good 4.8 out of a Silverado that won’t cost me any money. Yes I realize it’s stepping down in power but it doesn’t have any power right now.would It be as simple as taking off the wiring harness, intake ect and put on the 4.8? Would it run that way with the 5.3 computer? Or would I have to retune? I’ve heard from different shops and dyno tuners both ways.

If the engine is from the same generation, that being a 99-07. The 4.8 would bolt right in.

You could clean the 4.8 up, new gaskets etc etc and plop it right into place with all the 5.3 engine accessories and intake/throttle body/wiring.

The smaller engine would need to be tuned to run 100% correctly. It will start and run on the 5.3 calibration but there is a lot different between the two calibrations because the 4.8 is a smaller engine with different needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

If the engine is from the same generation, that being a 99-07. The 4.8 would bolt right in.

You could clean the 4.8 up, new gaskets etc etc and plop it right into place with all the 5.3 engine accessories and intake/throttle body/wiring.

The smaller engine would need to be tuned to run 100% correctly. It will start and run on the 5.3 calibration but there is a lot different between the two calibrations because the 4.8 is a smaller engine with different needs.

Exactly this.

• Like 1