2018 Silverado 1500 Clunking Noise

Bought a brand new 2018 Silverado with 12 miles on it. Started noticing a clunking noise when in reverse or at slow speeds going over bumps or turning. Took it to dealer, said it was leaf springs. Lubed them up, noise remained. I've take the truck to the dealership 4 times with no resolve. They say that GM knows there is a problem but can't figure out how to fix it. Anyone else experiencing this? Highly frustrating.

Had this problem with my 2015 Sierra after about a year of ownership.  I ended up buying some rubber gasket material at Menards that is in the plumbing section.  I cut out some squares and put them in between the pads on the leaf springs.  Fixed the issue immediately.  I just traded that truck off for a 2018 Sierra and haven't experienced any clunking with my new truck but if I do I'll be applying the same fix.  Not sure why GM can't put decent leaf spring pads on but apparently this is a fairly common issue.  It sounds awful when it does it.  Here is a link to what I bought at Menards in case you don't have them in your area.  You can probably get the same stuff at any hardware store.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/faucet-repair/o-rings-faucet-washers/danco-trade-rubber-gasket-sheet/9d00059849/p-1444428632074.htm

His truck is a 2018 with the updated springs. They should have the rubber isolators on them already. Try tightening up your U bolts a bit, factory specs are as low as 35lb-ft so there could be some lateral movement or flex when going over bumps or turning. 

6 hours ago, Hollywood220 said:

Bought a brand new 2018 Silverado with 12 miles on it. Started noticing a clunking noise when in reverse or at slow speeds going over bumps or turning. Took it to dealer, said it was leaf springs. Lubed them up, noise remained. I've take the truck to the dealership 4 times with no resolve. They say that GM knows there is a problem but can't figure out how to fix it. Anyone else experiencing this? Highly frustrating.

My 15 makes a clunky sound going over speed bumps or turning into drive ways with a bump. My 06 sounded the same. I have hd my 15 since it was new. I would not worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

19 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

His truck is a 2018 with the updated springs. They should have the rubber isolators on them already. Try tightening up your U bolts a bit, factory specs are as low as 35lb-ft so there could be some lateral movement or flex when going over bumps or turning. 

They do have rubber isolators, unfortunately those are what was causing the noise on my truck.  I tried to clean them and then lube them first, which helped for a short period of time before going right back to making the noise.  If you put the rubber gasket material between the isolator pad and the leaf spring, the clunking will stop.  It is a good idea to check the torque on the u-bolts as well, some are loose from the factory and this will contribute to the noise.  There was a post earlier this year in regard to this issue, I know others have done the same thing I did with the gasket material to fix this annoying problem.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/225285-leaf-clunk/#comments

Had the same issue with my 2018. Had everything tightened up to spec, new U-Bolts installed and even new rear axles. 3 different appointments. Only fix was to put some rubber in between the leafs. Quiet as a mouse since I did that. Here's what I did.

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1