Click in steering column when brake is pressed

I found this the other day as well! I will eventually take it in, but right now I don’t want to deal with them [emoji23]. Oh.. mine is a 2018 though.. didn’t realize I was in the 19-20 section.

• Haha 1

I was able to isolate it to the shift interlock solenoid.  If you telescope the steering wheel all the way out, you can stick your finger in there and touch the solenoid.  It is definitely loudly clicking with each slight touch of the brake.  It wasn't doing it before this weekend.  So either the solenoid is failing or there was a dab of grease on the contact points that has worn off.  Hard to believe either way since truck only has 2700 miles on it.

Mine started doing the same exact thing tonite , only does it in park on the first shift, once in drive or reverse there is no noise when the brake pedal is applied. just turned over 3500 miles on the truck and it has been completely quiet until now. it does sound exactly like a shift interlock solenoid. i haven't had a chance to check it out yet. seems like it is coming from the steering column area.

2 minutes ago, jd64 said:

Mine started doing the same exact thing tonite , only does it in park on the first shift, once in drive or reverse there is no noise when the brake pedal is applied. just turned over 3500 miles on the truck and it has been completely quiet until now. it does sound exactly like a shift interlock solenoid. i haven't had a chance to check it out yet. seems like it is coming from the steering column area.

It's definitely the shift interlock solenoid in mine.  It's just strange that it was dead silent for 2800 miles and now it suddenly makes the "click".  Either GM uses some crappy solenoids that are sloppy/noisy or there is some grease on the contact points that wears away after a couple thousand miles?

• 4 years later...