3500HD LT headlights lousy LED pros and cons

So my new 2020 3500HD LT lights are very unsatisfactory.   The low beams are what I would describe as ok, and the high beams are only a bit brighter. Although on low beam and country roads I occasionally get flashed as though they think I'm on high beam.

My 2016 2500HD WT lights were much better, especially the high beams that would actually light up the roadway well ahead of the low beams.

I saw the thread about converting to LED's and have also seen a lot of info out there about halogen light based fixtures not being designed properly for LED and that it could be a real problem for other oncoming drivers, if LED's are switched out.

I'm wondering if anyone that has switched out the halogens for the LED's has had any trouble with blinding oncoming traffic and if they have really been better.  Also wondering if there is an upgraded halogen bulb to use that anyone has experience with. 

2 hours ago, skorpyd said:

So my new 2020 3500HD LT lights are very unsatisfactory.   The low beams are what I would describe as ok, and the high beams are only a bit brighter. Although on low beam and country roads I occasionally get flashed as though they think I'm on high beam.

My 2016 2500HD WT lights were much better, especially the high beams that would actually light up the roadway well ahead of the low beams.

I saw the thread about converting to LED's and have also seen a lot of info out there about halogen light based fixtures not being designed properly for LED and that it could be a real problem for other oncoming drivers, if LED's are switched out.

I'm wondering if anyone that has switched out the halogens for the LED's has had any trouble with blinding oncoming traffic and if they have really been better.  Also wondering if there is an upgraded halogen bulb to use that anyone has experience with. 

Not sure how much this helps but the LED's on my 2019 1500 High Country are actually VERY good. Best stock headlights I've ever had. 

The quick and easy way for your would be to simply get better bulbs, I'd imagine an LED bulb replacement would work well without major/special modifications, HID not so much due to needing a specific projector so you're not blinding people. 

Worst case you can still get better halogen bulbs, I've never seen a good/stock halogen bulb on any vehicle. 

Thanks for response, I was hoping there was a solution that didn't require changing out the whole headlight assembly.   maybe there are better halogens out there.  Yes I saw that thread and was hoping for more confirmation of possible options.  I know since these trucks are so new that solutions are still evolving.

Edited by skorpyd
  • Like 1

I have not changed out my stock headlights yet on my LT after creating that other LED headlight post. I have occasionally gotten flashed by oncoming cars when my low beams are on and most likely my fog lights too. The LED fog lights are bright when I walk in front of the truck and look at it. But when I turn them on while driving, they barely add any extra visibility. I am pretty sure the low beams are so high on the new 2020 HD front end that they are head level with oncoming traffic even though the headlights are pointed down. I should check there my fog lights are aimed and possibly adjust them.

Sylvania SilverStar replacement halogen bulbs get good reviews. I tried the Philips high performance replacement halogen bulbs in my 2013 Silverado after one of the stock bulbs burned out and the "whiter" shade of light was nice. I don't think I could really see farther as they claim, but it was an improvement. Those did burn out fairly fast, even though it was always on the same headlight. I did put some LED replacements in before I traded in the truck for my 2020 and really liked the replacement LED's. I don't think I ever got flashed with those LED's on low beam.

Doing a quick Google search for top replacement halogen bulbs, the Philips and Sylvania options are near the top of the lists, but the cons for the "brighter" bulbs is that they cost more and don't last as long... Basically the reasons that I bought the LED replacements after trying the "brighter" halogen bulbs.

16 hours ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

I have not changed out my stock headlights yet on my LT after creating that other LED headlight post. I have occasionally gotten flashed by oncoming cars when my low beams are on and most likely my fog lights too. The LED fog lights are bright when I walk in front of the truck and look at it. But when I turn them on while driving, they barely add any extra visibility. I am pretty sure the low beams are so high on the new 2020 HD front end that they are head level with oncoming traffic even though the headlights are pointed down. I should check there my fog lights are aimed and possibly adjust them.

Sylvania SilverStar replacement halogen bulbs get good reviews. I tried the Philips high performance replacement halogen bulbs in my 2013 Silverado after one of the stock bulbs burned out and the "whiter" shade of light was nice. I don't think I could really see farther as they claim, but it was an improvement. Those did burn out fairly fast, even though it was always on the same headlight. I did put some LED replacements in before I traded in the truck for my 2020 and really liked the replacement LED's. I don't think I ever got flashed with those LED's on low beam.

Doing a quick Google search for top replacement halogen bulbs, the Philips and Sylvania options are near the top of the lists, but the cons for the "brighter" bulbs is that they cost more and don't last as long... Basically the reasons that I bought the LED replacements after trying the "brighter" halogen bulbs.

I experience exactly what you describe with mine. don't know why a 50k truck should be this way.   The one LED bulb option in your other thread was $144 each. kind of spendy to experiment with

1 hour ago, skorpyd said:

I experience exactly what you describe with mine. don't know why a 50k truck should be this way.   The one LED bulb option in your other thread was $144 each. kind of spendy to experiment with

I searched the 2019-2020 Silverado 1500 forum and thought I had posted the link to their big LED Headlight swap thread, but I don't see where I did. Their trucks come with halogen bulbs too and on the first page is a link to some SeaLight LED replacements that have gotten a lot of good reviews. Amazon sells the 4 LED light package for $136 or just the low beams for $70. Even has an installation video showing how they fit under the dust cap. https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-SEALIGHT-Design-Upgraded-Warranty/dp/B07HCZ7RZ6/ref=pd_cp_263_1/131-4230253-6673240?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HCZ7RZ6&pd_rd_r=38b3c803-a1ff-4323-a539-06a26f4f865b&pd_rd_w=vqOh8&pd_rd_wg=rHVyv&pf_rd_p=8b7a1fd1-136c-4b2c-8fd7-681e38610ce2&pf_rd_r=H1G5R96FGMYFRYF0WS2Y&psc=1&refRID=H1G5R96FGMYFRYF0WS2Y

Its not just the halogens that are weak.  The LED's in my 2020 are just ok at best.  The LED's I put in my 2017 did a much better job than the 2020 IMO.  

Similar experience, low beams are ok but the high beams are disappointing imo.  I'm wondering if there is a different LED bulb that could go in the facory LED housings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

I searched the 2019-2020 Silverado 1500 forum and thought I had posted the link to their big LED Headlight swap thread, but I don't see where I did. Their trucks come with halogen bulbs too and on the first page is a link to some SeaLight LED replacements that have gotten a lot of good reviews. Amazon sells the 4 LED light package for $136 or just the low beams for $70. Even has an installation video showing how they fit under the dust cap. https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-SEALIGHT-Design-Upgraded-Warranty/dp/B07HCZ7RZ6/ref=pd_cp_263_1/131-4230253-6673240?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HCZ7RZ6&pd_rd_r=38b3c803-a1ff-4323-a539-06a26f4f865b&pd_rd_w=vqOh8&pd_rd_wg=rHVyv&pf_rd_p=8b7a1fd1-136c-4b2c-8fd7-681e38610ce2&pf_rd_r=H1G5R96FGMYFRYF0WS2Y&psc=1&refRID=H1G5R96FGMYFRYF0WS2Y

Thanks for the additional links and info. I'm thinking seriously about giving the Sealights a shot. although the Amazon link says it doesn't fit my truck

Yeah I don't like that Amazon says it won't fit the 2020 HD, but even the SeaLight website isn't updated correctly. For the most part, the H11 bulb size is widely universal from what I have found, but some of the LED cooling fins or fans can be bulky so it can be a gamble. But it is nice that those fit the 1500 Silverados and should fit the 2500 too. Check out this site as they provide more info, correct fitment and lifetime warranty at a little more cost though. https://www.xenonpro.com/chevrolet/2020/silverado-2500-hd