brand new silverado fuel mileage question

Hey guys just quick question it may be nothing I just bought brand new 2020 Silverado trail boss and my fuel computer is all over the place telling me I only get 350k to a tank also that the mpg is all over the map.Is there a break in period for this being that its brand new and I haven't even burned half a tank yet? Also the dealer never mentioned it but is there a break in period?

The "per tank" mileage is only an estimate based on the recent miles driven. (I don't know the exact algorithm, but yes it can vary quite a bit)

What mpg reading are you looking at? instantaneous? last 25 miles? trip? 

Run a couple tanks of gas through it and then see what it tells you. Plus, its January and you are probably getting winter gas, which will give you significantly worse fuel economy than what your window sticker said you should get.

2 hours ago, scrimmy said:

ok so after while it will sort itself out? 

Depends what you mean by sort out.

It will always vary, depending on what you are doing with the truck.

It knows approximately how much fuel is in the tank.

It knows how many miles per gallon it's recently getting.  It's continuously  adjusting the range calculation depending on fuel remaining and recent mileage.

It has no way of knowing how you are going to drive in the future.  It can only estimate based on past and current usage. 

The more the usage is varied, the less likely it is for range estimate to be accurate.  

When range gets down to somewhere around 45 - 65 miles, the range display will change to 'LOW'