Fuel Gauge Issue

SO, last Thursday (1/23/20) night, on my way home from work, I fueled up my truck.  About a mile away from the gas station, when I noticed that the fuel gauge is sitting at 7/8 of a tank.  WTH?  I chalked it up to the pumps being screwy. 

Last night (more like EARLY this morning), on my way home from work, I fueled up my truck.  When it stopped, I powered up the fuel gauge, 3/4 tank, so I squeezed the handle one more time.  It stopped after putting about $0.70 in, gauge was still at 3/4.  WTH?!!!  Went "fill to spill" with it (waited about 30 seconds or so, would flow fine for about $0.70)......(see picture, was taken in my driveway).

Fuel Gauge Issue.jpg

Ignore the CEL and seatbelt light.  Notice RPM is at 0 (ZERO).  I had shut off the engine and turned the key enough to power up the gauges.

I find it hard to believe that 18.1 miles after "fill to spill," that it's already down to 3/4.

Edited by Ravenkeeper

Ive been having the exact same issue with my ‘18 Sierra for the past 5-6 tanks. Exactly what you are experiencing. I managed to almost get it to the full mark today by barely squeezing the pump trigger. I call it the Flomax Fuel Fill method. The truck just wouldn’t take anymore. It was taking forever and it was freezing out so I gave up. Ive tried inserting the nozzle part way, half way, at an angle and everything in between and nothing seems to work. Ive tried different gas stations too.

• Like 1

Another fill up and another tank not hitting the full mark. I even had gas spilling out this time. Just over 3/4 of a tank according to the fuel gauge. 350 miles on the Info screen. Going for an oil change in about 500 miles so I’ll mention it to the dealer (again) then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share an update. Just picked up my truck from a different dealership since my normal dealership said it was normal. Certainly NOT normal. This dealership looked further into it ended up replacing the Evap canister and solenoid since there was "No vacuum flow". Truck is showing FULL now, but the true test will be to see how it goes when I go to fill up my next tank.

• Like 1

If you ever fill your tank with "topping off the tank" or "fill to spill" as you put it, there is a real chance that you caused the problem with your evap canister/system.  You are supposed to stop filling the tank when it clicks off to allow room in the tank for the evap system to function properly. No doing so risks overloading it with liquid fuel.

• Like 2

I had the same issue that I filled the tank to the half at morning, then at night i had noticed that the tank is full and the reading for the remaining miles to empty was zero. When I open the fuel tank I saw that the fuel pump had been broken. And that really bad for GM that my truck 2015 and it's the third fuel pump I install