2020 Seat and lumbar modification

Has anyone else had comfort issues related to the seats and lumbar support in the new T1 models?  I’m looking at a 2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali and the seats aren’t comfortable at all to me.  Another issue is the lack of the 4-way power lumbar option that was available in the K2’s.  These only have the 2-way power lumbar.  I currently have an ‘18 Denali with the 4-way power lumbar and the seats feel much softer to me from the leather to the padding.  Do the new seats break in at all or are they just more stiff with the redesign?  I’ve found some other topics here that the stiffness may be related to the alert vibration systems in the seats but my ‘18 has these as well and the padding is pretty soft to me.  The leather seems a little more durable on the new ones though.  Has anyone attempted to install the 4-way lumbar support in the T1’s as well as any padding modifications?  All of the other additions in the 2020, especially the added towing capacity, are very appealing but the seat issues may be the deal breaker for me or should I wait until the 2021’s?

The seats were almost a deal breaker to me when I test drove my 2020HD because I had been shopping for a low mileage 2018-19 2500HD. I was coming from a 2013 which had poor lumbar support for me and I had to use a lumbar pillow or my back would hurt. The few times that I rode in or drove a 2014-2018 1500 I was really impressed with how comfortable the seats were and was looking forward to that upgrade from my 2013. I was, and am, disappointed in the lumbar support in the 2020HD even though it is an improvement over my 2013. On longer trips I still use my lumbar pillow. That also defeats the heated seat and back option which I had to have in my new truck. I'm sure there are aftermarket companies or custom companies that can add more lumbar support, but I haven't looked into that just yet. Back when I had a 2012 Cruze that had poor lumbar support as well, there was a company that created and offered an inflatable lumbar cushion that you could install yourself. If that option becomes available for the T1 trucks, I will be doing that.

My truck doesn't have the seat vibrating alert system so I can't comment on that.

Hoping mine breaks in, because after about 2 hours into a trip I defiantly start getting uncomfortable. Only have about 800 miles on truck so hoping it will break in or I find right adjustment still playing with it  on tilt, lumbar and angle between bottom and top of seat.

• Like 1

Well I did some investigative work on both seats and they are definitely a different design.  The seat frame used between the two gens is very similar but everything else is a redesign.  The foam used in my ‘18 is a yellow foam which is very soft all around.  The cooling system used is integrated into the front, seated side of the foam.  The lumber system uses two discrete controllable pneumatic bladders for separate upper and lower lumbar adjustment.  This lumber system is what sold me on my ‘18.  The 2020 T1 denali’s seat foam is a black, much more firm material which is not as soft and forming to the area of driver/passenger as well as on the bolsters.  I was comparing the areas of use in the butt and back areas that should be broken in along with the sides where there shouldn’t be any wear.  On the T1 the cooling system is integrated into the rear of the foam as opposed to the front, therefore it’s not an easy option of swapping foam, at least without swapping the cooling systems as well.  The lumber system in the T1 is the old mechanical screw-type compression system that spans the full length of the seat and has a more concentrated are in the middle as opposed to an even left to right level of support. The airbags appear to be in the same position on both models.  My original plan was to order the dual bladder system and install it into the new truck, removing the existing lumbar system but I couldn’t really alter the foam.  This seat redesign is why I couldn’t purchase the truck.  I’m an even 6’ and 170 pounds and as much as I tried, I couldn’t get the seat to work for me.  The dealer was great working with me and letting me do some investigative work on the two trucks’ seats.  I really loved the truck all around from the handling, the camera system, as well as the new software system.  They were giving me one of the best deals that I’ve had in a long time and I could see myself possibly taking it to the full term of the loan, which I don’t do, but due to my back issues, I couldn’t get past the seats.  If I could put the generation seats from my ‘18 Denali in the new one, it would be a no brainer and I’d even pay extra for that.  Maybe more people like the more firm design and that’s why they changed it but I just couldn’t get it to work for me.  I’m pretty bummed about the whole situation but the dealer was very helpful with the whole process.  Maybe something will change with the 2021’s because I really do like the new body style along with the added room with the interior.  

• Sad 1

I completely understand and had to really think about it after first sitting in the truck and trying to adjust the seat. If I had only driven the truck for a normal test drive, I probably wouldn't have been convinced I could stay comfortable, but I was able to test drive the truck for a weekend and put 130 miles on the truck. With my back lumbar pad, the new seat was basically the same as my 2013 seat but heated leather. The weird things with seats is that my parents have a Traverse LTZ with leather seats and my wife has a Traverse LT with cloth seats and I can't drive her Traverse for more than 10 minutes without my back lumbar pad or else it gets achy. But I can drive my parent's LTZ with leather seats without my lumbar pad and it is comfortable. So that's why I was hoping the 2020 2500HD LT with heated leather seats would be the most comfortable option, but obviously I'm not the only one that can't find the right fit. My doctor said my back was too straight, putting stress on certain areas, which is why I need seats with good lumbar support.

I know you would hate to spend extra money on seats for a new truck, but my dealer was able to swap out the cloth seats for leather with aftermarket heater into my Dad's Silverado when he bought it used. And there was another truck I had looked at about a year ago that had those similar leather seats with aftermarket heater. So I'm sure there are custom options out there, just can be costly.