Question for anyone with King 2.5 Coilovers

I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 and I'm considering leveling the truck with 2.5 King coilovers and piggyback rears. I have no frame of reference in terms of how the Kings might ride compared to Fox, Icon, or other brands, and I'm curious how they ride both on and off road. This is my daily driver and I use it for towing as well, so I'm looking for the best jack of all trades build I can make. I am less concerned with price, only getting the very best in terms of ride quality/durability/dependability. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share. Also, any photos of trucks with the King 2.5s would be very appreciated.

• Like 1

Few users have forked out the money for King's, but there are a handful of users here that have them. A friend of mine bought a set for his lifted 2015 but I have not ever ridden in the truck. Can't go wrong with King's if you go offroad, they are the biggest name in truck shocks. If the truck is a pavement princess they are probably a bit overkill and you wont see all the benefits as you would when using them offroad. 

Hopefully GrumpyBear while stop in, I believe he has a set of King's on Pepper. I don't think he's out in the dunes jumping his truck 3' in the air but he should be able to give you a good review. 

Really depends on your application and what you want out of the truck, with that being said I'm not a fan of Icons and their digressive valving. I only run Kings and alot of the big boy trucks I see also run kings. When comparing Kings to stock shocks, it'll be a night and day difference offroad -- for me it was being able to gas through washboard sections when everyone else was slowing down :)

I currently run: King 2.5 w/ adjustable resi + King 3.0 triple bypasses in the front and 3.0x16 triple bypasses in the rear -- I eat 95% of the off road terrain I've encountered thus far. After 20,000 abusive off-road miles on my front King 2.5 coilovers, I had them rebuilt and the oil wasn't as degraded as I thought it'd be.

If you're looking for photos you can find some on my out-dated build thread:

Edited by AZ_RADO_RNR

• 11 months later...

Hi don’t mean to hijack the trade but also looking to install a set of aftermarket shocks on my 17 Sierra 1500 do a lot of driving for work in construction with some off-road between . Anyone have to upgrade UCA with Kimgshocks and are they ready to go that I could install my self ? Thanks I’m advance 

I have about 1.5k miles on 2.5's with resi's and adjusters front and rear on my '16LTZ 6.2.  Dirt King ball joint UCA's, Dirt King Cam kit, Deaver J1's out back with the factory spacer.  Gives me about 1" rake front to back - which is what I wanted.  The difference is night and day and I'm kicking myself for not having done this sooner.  I have the front coil nut run down some to give me a little more lift (with more preload) but the damn truck is planted no matter what I"m doing with it.  Potholes and washboards that used to make the truck "shimmy" off the road don't affect the truck and I'm not afraid of railroad crossings at speed :D  They are rebuildable, tuneable, can swap out coils if you want, ... and on and on.  Buy once, cry once.

I don't regret buying them at all, like I said, I only regret not doing this earlier.  Next for me is losing the factory 22's and replacing them with 17-18 racelines, methods, or such and KO2's or KM3's.  Hope I can get 35's to fit with some NorCal love.

Do it.

unnamed.jpg

IMG_0615.JPEG

Placed the order they are currently on back order for the time being . But I appreciate the reply back ! 

On 2/6/2021 at 11:33 AM, dp454so said:

I have about 1.5k miles on 2.5's with resi's and adjusters front and rear on my '16LTZ 6.2.  Dirt King ball joint UCA's, Dirt King Cam kit, Deaver J1's out back with the factory spacer.  Gives me about 1" rake front to back - which is what I wanted.  The difference is night and day and I'm kicking myself for not having done this sooner.  I have the front coil nut run down some to give me a little more lift (with more preload) but the damn truck is planted no matter what I"m doing with it.  Potholes and washboards that used to make the truck "shimmy" off the road don't affect the truck and I'm not afraid of railroad crossings at speed :D  They are rebuildable, tuneable, can swap out coils if you want, ... and on and on.  Buy once, cry once.

I don't regret buying them at all, like I said, I only regret not doing this earlier.  Next for me is losing the factory 22's and replacing them with 17-18 racelines, methods, or such and KO2's or KM3's.  Hope I can get 35's to fit with some NorCal love.

Do it.

unnamed.jpg

IMG_0615.JPEG

I placed the order for both front and rear shocks currently on back order. I appreciate the reply back ! 

Nice.  you may already know this but if you went with the -EXT front shocks, you can get some extra travel by cutting the factory droop stop.  

Also, maybe consider the Dirt King cam kit.  Much more beefy than stock.  https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/upper-arm-alignment-cams-dk-632919

On 2/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, dp454so said:

Nice.  you may already know this but if you went with the -EXT front shocks, you can get some extra travel by cutting the factory droop stop.  

Also, maybe consider the Dirt King cam kit.  Much more beefy than stock.  https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/upper-arm-alignment-cams-dk-632919

Thanks for the tip order the Dirt King cam set , just installed new tires now , i ordered the ones with the adjusters for the front and rear . I dont plan on cutting off the factory droop stop yet until after i install a aftermarket Upper control arm.