Pink Coolant in a 2017 Suburban

Bought a used 2017 Suburban awhile back. Noticed the coolant was a little low, so I bought some Dexcool compatible as recommended by my LAP store. Before I added it, I pulled a sample and what’s in there is as pink as pink can be. The Preston Dexcool is orange. Did I buy the wrong coolant, or did the previous owner/dealer put in the wrong stuff? Do I just need to flush and fill with orange?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes bought new. I haven’t seen the prestige dexcool color so I really can’t compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks the same to me, not quite orange in color but close. Btw, like your CAI, nice job [emoji1303]

Sent from Above

So I guess I need to break the seal on a jug of Dexcool and compare the two. Is there a pink coolant? Going by the label color, maybe Mercedes coolant? I don’t want to mix types and I don’t want to use the wrong type... everything says use Dexcool, so I guess I’m flushing if it’s not a match.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 1:00 PM, Bigfutz said:

Bought a used 2017 Suburban awhile back. Noticed the coolant was a little low, so I bought some Dexcool compatible as recommended by my LAP store. Before I added it, I pulled a sample and what’s in there is as pink as pink can be. The Preston Dexcool is orange. Did I buy the wrong coolant, or did the previous owner/dealer put in the wrong stuff? Do I just need to flush and fill with orange?

So this is what I have found as far as color. The coolant is not the color of the cap. This appears to be what is in my truck.

Prestone.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like what we have as well.  I also assume the color would get lighter when it is mixed 50/50.  Or, is it already mixed?

Good question. Found that on the internet. I would only use the mix. It’s way easier

Good question. Found that on the internet. I would only use the mix. It’s way easier

Thank you! Why the cap and colors on the jug wouldn’t match the contents boggles the mind. Am I the only one who thinks of antifreeze in terms of color?

I don't know why.  I would have never through that the antifreeze cap color would match.  Not even spray paint can lids match, just gives you a general direction of where the color lies on the spectrum.  It's just a rough estimate and everyone refers to Dexcool as being orange so I guess it makes sense.  Was Dexcool ever more orange than it is today?  Is it still as sludgy as it used to be?