These strict diesel emissions requirements are one of the biggest reasons Crapota has been keeping diesels and HD truck options out of North America.  Nissan turned to Cummins to try to enter the diesel truck market in the USA, but the Titans were so damn ugly, they didn't sell, add to that the DEF/DPF issues with them as well, they no longer offer a diesel Titan. 

The reliability of these components is crap all across to board, every manufacturer.  Toyota doesn't want to introduce something that could have the potential to tarnish their reliability reputation.  Light, (cars) Medium, and Heavy duty (big rigs).  It's a long slow growing and learning process. 

And we can no longer delete the unreliable components now so what are ya gonna do?  Much of the DPF stuff has been worked out, it's the DEF that's taking longer. 

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

These strict diesel emissions requirements are one of the biggest reasons Crapota has been keeping diesels and HD truck options out of North America.  Nissan turned to Cummins to try to enter the diesel truck market in the USA, but the Titans were so damn ugly, they didn't sell, add to that the DEF/DPF issues with them as well, they no longer offer a diesel Titan. 

The reliability of these components is crap all across to board, every manufacturer.  Toyota doesn't want to introduce something that could have the potential to tarnish their reliability reputation.  Light, (cars) Medium, and Heavy duty (big rigs).  It's a long slow growing and learning process. 

And we can no longer delete the unreliable components now so what are ya gonna do?  Much of the DPF stuff has been worked out, it's the DEF that's taking longer. 

This is unreal. So an $80k truck that a company depends on to make money sits for possibly months because of no parts?  Who is accountable? GM? The government for making rules the manufacturers obviously cannot reach.  I don't understand how the consumer has to pay the price for this BS. 

I had a 2011 Denali... the first year of DEF. I could understand some growing pains with the early models... but 10 years later? Really? how are these over the road truckers keeping their diesel rigs rolling? 

If there is truly months of waiting for parts, this truck will be deleted, I don't care where I have to send it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newdude said:

P20C1 Reductant Heater 3 Control Circuit.  

Heater #3 is the second heater in the DEF tank.  Two heaters are in there, #1 and #3.  #2 is the heater in the line.

Currently, the tank heaters are serviced ONLY with a new tank assembly.  There is zero inventory, and it is on national backorder.   No dealers have any available.  

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your input on my P20C1 tank code issue. That DEF tank/heater combo.... you are fairly confident that this part is simply not available anywhere? Another member mentions  "2 or 3 months" before there are parts available? I cannot be without a truck that long. 

My dealer says he "sees" the part 200 miles away. He goes on to tell me "Unfortunately we do not have a SPAC number yet, I talked to the parts guy says he see's the part moving just no one has answered it yet.  The parts guy said the part is in transit just doesn't know where too did not get a tracking number yet ."

What's the chances of me getting this part? 

24 minutes ago, In2racn said:

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your input on my P20C1 tank code issue. That DEF tank/heater combo.... you are fairly confident that this part is simply not available anywhere? Another member mentions  "2 or 3 months" before there are parts available? I cannot be without a truck that long. 

My dealer says he "sees" the part 200 miles away. He goes on to tell me "Unfortunately we do not have a SPAC number yet, I talked to the parts guy says he see's the part moving just no one has answered it yet.  The parts guy said the part is in transit just doesn't know where too did not get a tracking number yet ."

What's the chances of me getting this part? 

The parts mgr. can get with the service mgr. and escalate it to their district rep. so he/she can try and put some more pressure on it.  If no dealers answer, its because they are waiting for one just like you and or they got the one for a truck they have down.  

If GM has stock in transit, the SPAC case puts you on the "I need this part" list.  

Edited by newdude

22 minutes ago, newdude said:

The parts mgr. can get with the service mgr. and escalate it to their district rep. so he/she can try and put some more pressure on it.  If no dealers answer, its because they are waiting for one just like you and or they got the one for a truck they have down.  

If GM has stock in transit, the SPAC case puts you on the "I need this part" list.  

Thanks.... the info from my dealer cannot be more "vague".   

Service guy - "We do not have a SPAC number yet" 

The service clerks goes on to say " I talked to the parts guy says he see's the part moving just no one has answered it yet."

When I asked him, "Is it moving to us, to our dealership?"

His response - "The parts guy said the part is in transit just doesn't know where too did not get a tracking number yet ."

In transit to "somewhere". WTF. 

6 minutes ago, In2racn said:

Thanks.... the info from my dealer cannot be more "vague".   

Service guy - "We do not have a SPAC number yet" 

The service clerks goes on to say " I talked to the parts guy says he see's the part moving just no one has answered it yet."

When I asked him, "Is it moving to us, to our dealership?"

His response - "The parts guy said the part is in transit just doesn't know where too did not get a tracking number yet ."

In transit to "somewhere". WTF. 

If they are seeing in transit messages, then they put a SPAC case on it already.  The messages from GM on them are vague too.  If they are in transit, that's all the SPAC agents can relay to the dealer, as well as an estimated ship or receival date.  Once the parts in transit get to the GM parts facility they are destined for, the facility will then ship the part to your dealer.  Only then will the dealer get a Fedex tracking or their dedicated truck shipment tracking #.  

Edited by newdude

On 12/22/2020 at 9:14 PM, In2racn said:

This is unreal. So an $80k truck that a company depends on to make money sits for possibly months because of no parts?  Who is accountable? GM? The government for making rules the manufacturers obviously cannot reach.  I don't understand how the consumer has to pay the price for this BS. 

I had a 2011 Denali... the first year of DEF. I could understand some growing pains with the early models... but 10 years later? Really? how are these over the road truckers keeping their diesel rigs rolling? 

If there is truly months of waiting for parts, this truck will be deleted, I don't care where I have to send it.

<<This is unreal. So an $80k truck that a company depends on to make money sits for possibly months because of no parts? >>

yes.  Sadly. 

<<Who is accountable? GM? The government for making rules the manufacturers obviously cannot reach.  I don't understand how the consumer has to pay the price for this BS.>>

I'd say the government and the manufacturers.  In this day and age we see a lot of BS legislation getting passed without thinking about the big picture-  Engineers can design things, but when it gets out to the real world and in real use, things end up working much differently then expected.  We also live in a day and age where things are rushed to market in hopes of keeping up or staying ahead of the competition, instead of taking their time to engineer and properly test and learn. 

Many OTR companies and drivers are experiencing the same damn issues.  Even more in some cases.  In fact, I'm hearing of some trucking companies who buy mass DPFs and DEF componants and replace them out every 15,000-20,000 or so miles in order to ensure that their drivers can stay on the road and not break down somewhere.  VERY pathetic.  But what choice do they have?  They have to meet the stupid California clean idle air thingie to be able to operate in California, and other states are adopting those same emissions standards!  It's stupid! 

The problem is, you may not be able to find anywhere to send it, and add to that, you will be in federal violation not just state.  And we are starting to see federal emissions standards being enforced more than ever. And it will only get worse. 

We may truly have our hands tied on this one.  Only options may be to try to find a pre-DEF truck (2010 or older) low miles in good shape?  I don't know.  SO far no emissions issues on my 2018, but I only have 15,000 miles. 

• 1 month later...

Same issue here.  Got it back to the dealer, Banks Chevrolet in NH, before it went into limp mode due to DEF system problem.  6000 miles on new 3500 Duramax. Thankful for the GMC sierra 1500 loaner to drive around but dealer told me I cannot trailer with it and of course it does not have a rack and all my work equipment.  The service advisor told me that they have six more newer trucks parked waiting with the same issue and they cannot tell me when the part will come in.  At what point does the lemon law start to apply?

Same issue on my 2020 AT4.  38,000 miles without issue.  P20C1 code the other morning when Colorado temps were at -14.  Speed limited and limped it to the dealer.  Been there for a week and they have no idea when the part will be available.  Got the part # 84996345 and found several online.  I've ordered three different times and opted for overnight shipping, each time I get a call from the seller that this item is on back order so I cancel the order.  Still looking...............good thing I kept my bike, but it sucks at pulling a skid steer.

• 1 year later...

This is truly unbelievable! I'm not sure I should be happy that I'm not alone with this issue or even more angry!!  I have a 21 3500 Silverado I love, with 36,000 miles. This is the second time in a year I have had to wait to have a def tank replaced. First time was a year ago and I had to wait a month. I'm going on 2.5 months this time with zero answers on when I will ever get my year old truck back. So having this truck for a year and it's been sidelined at the dealership for over three and half months of that time. Seems unacceptable! Very tough when you need your truck for income. I'm truly considering trading it in on a gas truck. For the first time in my life I wish wouldn't have bought a Chevy, and I bet I have owned at least 20-25 chevy trucks over the years. 

• 4 weeks later...

So i just got added to the list of long awaiting Def Tank/ Pump back orders, i just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and GM's response is " we can give you 100$ off a service" My service guy says hes expecting this to turn into a Class action Lawsuit, just wondering if anyone has contacted a Lawyer to find out if  this would be the right approach for this. My service guys said hes had truck waiting since January for these parts and there is no date for incoming parts but they have changed suppliers and it could possibly speed things up.

• 4 weeks later...