hvac ticking heat or cold under dash

04 silverado ext cab 4x4

I'm having an issue of a ticking or popping sound when I have the dual climate levers at 100% hot or cold. If I dial both of the levers down or up 25% the ticking or popping sound stops. The sound is only on the passenger side near the glove box. Also, the heat or cold keeps coming out the vents when I have it set at none. I believe I have to replace a hvac blend door actuator? Am I in the right direction?

I have further questions on which one I need and how many I need to buy if i have to rip the whole dash out so I don't have to deal with  another one going out for a while. Is there recalibration involved?

I buy a lot of parts off of rockauto so if its on there, link me to the part number? Thanks!

Edited by echobyte

Wouldn't surprise me if the physical stop on the actuator has worn away, so it's trying to go to the limit and can't find it.

Maybe go through youtube videos for where the various HVAC actuators are located, turn on the HVAC to get it clicking, and then touch each actuator.  You should be able to feel which one is clicking, then you can replace it.  It's possible that the control rod that the actuator moves is also damaged/worn away due to this problem, and that is a much bigger hassle to fix...

1 hour ago, davester said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the physical stop on the actuator has worn away, so it's trying to go to the limit and can't find it.

Maybe go through youtube videos for where the various HVAC actuators are located, turn on the HVAC to get it clicking, and then touch each actuator.  You should be able to feel which one is clicking, then you can replace it.  It's possible that the control rod that the actuator moves is also damaged/worn away due to this problem, and that is a much bigger hassle to fix...

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. 

Watch this video.

Order this actuator. https://amzn.to/2xX1wxn

This is a good actuator. It uses stops on the inside of the actuator instead of using the HVAC door pressure as the stop. A cheap actuator will use the door pressure as a stop and I have seen them break the hvac doors. Be very carful if you decide to go with a cheaper version of it. You may end up with a $1500.00 repair instead of a 150.00 repair.