Double Cab size vs previous generation

I have a 19 double cab Sierra.  From what I can tell, the truck is about 1 inch wider, 1.5 inches taller, and 1.5 inches longer than my neighbour's 17 Sierra.  He has 18 inch wheels and I have 17 inch wheels.  When we put the 2 trucks side by side, my 19 seems about the same height wise and just a bit wider and longer.  The rear seat leg room on mine is about 2-3 inches longer and my truck seems to have a little more head room.  That could be because my seats seem to sit lower than his.  Being 8 and 6, I think your kids will be fine sitting in the back of the double cab for short trips and an occasional long trip.  Even if you decide to trade the vehicle in after 4 years, they would only be 12 and 10.  At the point, a double cab would still be ok.  It's when they start to hit their full adult height in their teens that the crew cab might make more sense.  Take at look at the specs for the 19 and 18 below. 

2019 Specs

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2019.tab1.html

2018 Specs

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2018.tab1.html

Legroom in the rear from what I can see:

2019:  35.2 inches

2018: 34.6 inches

12 hours ago, JD19 said:

I have a 19 double cab Sierra.  From what I can tell, the truck is about 1 inch wider, 1.5 inches taller, and 1.5 inches longer than my neighbour's 17 Sierra.  He has 18 inch wheels and I have 17 inch wheels.  When we put the 2 trucks side by side, my 19 seems about the same height wise and just a bit wider and longer.  The rear seat leg room on mine is about 2-3 inches longer and my truck seems to have a little more head room.  That could be because my seats seem to sit lower than his.  Being 8 and 6, I think your kids will be fine sitting in the back of the double cab for short trips and an occasional long trip.  Even if you decide to trade the vehicle in after 4 years, they would only be 12 and 10.  At the point, a double cab would still be ok.  It's when they start to hit their full adult height in their teens that the crew cab might make more sense.  Take at look at the specs for the 19 and 18 below. 

2019 Specs

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2019.tab1.html

2018 Specs

https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2018.tab1.html

Legroom in the rear from what I can see:

2019:  35.2 inches

2018: 34.6 inches

Yeah, not trying to be a d!ck but the 19 is a lot bigger than the 18. My dad has an 18 and he was pissed when we went to look at the 19's. Every vehicle generation has a selling point and upgrades but the 19's are so much nicer it is laughable. As far as GMC goes they all have the "Denali" squared off styling now and are seemingly much larger vehicles all the way around. A lot of the size difference is an allusion with the styling of the headlights, fog lights, and grill, but the point remains. It might only be an inch or two on paper, but when you look at them in person there is a seemingly very noticeable difference. 

Neither one of these is a double cab but just for reference:

2018 vs 2019 Size Difference

16 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Yeah, not trying to be a d!ck but the 19 is a lot bigger than the 18. My dad has an 18 and he was pissed when we went to look at the 19's. Every vehicle generation has a selling point and upgrades but the 19's are so much nicer it is laughable. As far as GMC goes they all have the "Denali" squared off styling now and are seemingly much larger vehicles all the way around. A lot of the size difference is an allusion with the styling of the headlights, fog lights, and grill, but the point remains. It might only be an inch or two on paper, but when you look at them in person there is a seemingly very noticeable difference. 

Neither one of these is a double cab but just for reference:

2018 vs 2019 Size Difference

The big hood on the 19s is the most striking difference.  It looks nice but I have a hard time seeing over and around the hood.  I actually prefer the 14-18 look..more compact which is something I like.  The 19-20 versions are definitely more responsive.  I only have a base model with the 4.3 V6 (only one I could afford) and the engine/tranny are much more responsive than the 5.3 V8/6 speed combo I had in my 2010 Sierra.  I do wonder if the 19 will have reliability issues.  So far I've had:

1. 5 recalls.

2. The radio had to be replaced since it kept freezing.

3. The doors had to be resealed as they were leaking water after a rain storm.

4.  A defective brake line had to be replaced.

All of this has happened within the first 3 000 km of ownership.