Double Cab size vs previous generation

Happy Easter everyone! I’m looking for answers/opinions about the new body style. Specifically, how do the rear seats and associated legroom on the 19/20’s compare with the last generation. I have the opportunity to get into a 2020 elevation max tow for less than I’m currently paying on my 2016 SLT max tow. Financially and equipment wise i think it’s a no brainer,  but wanted to throw this out here first. Normally, I’d go to the dealer and look around but that’s not an option where I live right now. 

thanks!

I have a double cab 19 model but didn't have last gen so cant compare the 2....its good for storage and someone can ride in back but not for long trip unless it was a kid or small person.....I don't really haul people so and I wanted a standard bed....

my dog rides in dbl cab with seats folded up with  blanket and pillow

it would be tight if you had 6ft driver or passenger and another similar size person in back....running across town is fine but long trip would be tough unless they stretched out across the seat

Edited by Dunn

Thanks Dunn. I have two kids (8 and 6) that grow like weeds. I’ve been on a 4 year trade in cycle, so they won’t be be full grown by the time I’m ready to trade up, but I bet the next one will have to be a CC. The only time they’re in the back is when we’re towing the camper; about 12-15 times a year. Typically 1.5 hours each way, and the once a year 5 hour jaunt to Maine. They’re not cramped now, so if the new cab are the same size or bigger I’ll likely pull the trigger. Just wanted to hear from other owners of both gens To see if they noticed some glaring difference between the two. 

I have a double cab, coming from an 07 F150 double cab, and it's nothing like the ford. This is really large back there.

I'm 6ft, if I set the front seat for me, I can fit comfortably leg--wise in behind. HOWEVER, it's not exactly comfortable. Not because of leg room, that's not the problem, the issue is the back seats are very vertical/upright. No issues driving with like-sized coworkers to lunch, but I wouldn't want to do more than 4hrs back there, tops.

But I much prefer to have the bed space than the back seat, thats why I bought a truck and not an SUV.

Edited by nichos

1 hour ago, f8l vnm said:

But don’t the new HD have a longer standard bed now too ? Then the 1500? 

think they do......if not mistaken its 6'10" in HD vs 6'6" in 1500

3 hours ago, Jorako said:

Thanks Dunn. I have two kids (8 and 6) that grow like weeds. I’ve been on a 4 year trade in cycle, so they won’t be be full grown by the time I’m ready to trade up, but I bet the next one will have to be a CC. The only time they’re in the back is when we’re towing the camper; about 12-15 times a year. Typically 1.5 hours each way, and the once a year 5 hour jaunt to Maine. They’re not cramped now, so if the new cab are the same size or bigger I’ll likely pull the trigger. Just wanted to hear from other owners of both gens To see if they noticed some glaring difference between the two. 

would think they be fine in dbl cab for 4 yrs.....they have gotten bigger over the years, if anything I would think bigger or same at very least....its probably not huge year to year but from 5 years ago should be

a crew cab standard bed is tough to find

Edited by Dunn

My dad is a general contractor and would run through trucks about every 2-3 years. I grew up riding in an extended cab until I was able to drive on my own. I’m 36 now. 3 of us survived in the back seat together. I’d say it really only gets a little tight when you have car seats. Like someone else stated though....anything past a 4-5 hour drive is a little uncomfortable. Been there many times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nichos said:

I have a double cab, coming from an 07 F150 double cab, and it's nothing like the ford. This is really large back there.

I'm 6ft, if I set the front seat for me, I can fit comfortably leg--wise in behind. HOWEVER, it's not exactly comfortable. Not because of leg room, that's not the problem, the issue is the back seats are very vertical/upright. No issues driving with like-sized coworkers to lunch, but I wouldn't want to do more than 4hrs back there, tops.

But I much prefer to have the bed space than the back seat, thats why I bought a truck and not an SUV.

This is the correct answer.

Never understood why anyone would own an Short Box CC, as to me that is the ultimate poser-mobile, but hey to each his own. With that being said, you also don't buy a DC to sit in the back. Any adult is not going to be very comfortable back there for an extended period of time. And as this guy said, the seat angle is extremely upright, almost forward leaning. For 15 minutes across town, no big deal, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to sit back there for any longer than that. 

DC's are the better looking vehicle and the much more functional "truck" but that doesn't mean the back seats are comfortable. 

I've owned both, the newer generation seems a bit larger in the back but I haven't measured. You also get the air vents for the back now which is nice. Sometimes the kids ride with me (ages 15 and 5) with the 5 year old in a car seat and space is good for them. I've gotten in the back before and like nichos said, leg room is ok, it's the flat seat back that will end up hurting in the long run.

Had both, the '19 DC has 2" - 3" more total legroom.....some is due to the larger cab - some due to a more vertical seat back which adds room but a slightly longer cushion (the same aftermarket under seat bin from the '16 was installed in the '19 and cushion extends about an 1" further out.

Length of full floor console with integral HVAC vents reduces middle rear seat legroom. Bought the DC because it is only me and the wife and the lines flow better and has sleeker lines when equipped with the sports bar.

DC serves as a bonus........I have been known to purposely jamb relatives whom I find annoying in the rear instead of the roomier Malibu or Traverse

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nichos said:

Ford redesigned their cabs back in 2009 , so yeah you had the smaller set up . i think The Ford/Dodge and GM now all have very close cab space spec wise

17 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Ford redesigned their cabs back in 2009 , so yeah you had the smaller set up . i think The Ford/Dodge and GM now all have very close cab space spec wise

Thanks - I honestly didn't look at ford because of these 2 requirements:

• Full bed
  • No Suicide doors!

My F150 '07 had suicide doors, and while you can load stuff in a bit easier, it's a huge pain to go to the grocery store, or have people get in and out. I'll never buy a truck w/suicide doors again.

• Like 1

A quick google search shows there is nearly an inch more rear legroom in the new gen than the previous gen.

How does starting a new car loan as opposed to being close to paying yours off make financial sense? Seems the opposite that your just extending yours by 4 more years...

Tyler