Side detection system temporarily unavailable

Anyone else seeing this DIC warning?  My yellow detection indicators in my side view mirrors fail to illuminate on start up as the owners manual says they should if the system is working, and I get the described (title) warning........Now the weird part, sometimes it all works as it should for several start up cycles, then suddenly it stops working for weeks at a time........It also seems effected by water, sometimes washing the truck or a heavy rain, will start the system working again for a while, and sometimes when it is working a short drive will shut it down again.....

My servicing dealer has spent a couple of days with it and cannot figure out what's going on..........I have replaced the two rear corner proximity sensors, the entire rear bumper wiring harness, and even put on a new rear after market bumper, made for vehicles equipped with the sensors. and still have this problem.......my thoughts are a bad connection somewhere in the system, but where?

also all new connectors treated with dielectric grease, still no help......the sideview mirror & all cameras seem to work fine in parking assist mode, and the lane keeping system seems to work fine also.......folding or unfolding side mirrors makes no difference either,  ........fortunatly, this is a system problem in a system that I don't really need, but since its part of the equipment that came on the truck, it would be nice to have it working.......appreciate any comments or ideas from anyone who has had this problem....thanks

When did this start? The temporarily unavailable typically alludes to dirt, snow, debris blocking the sensors, and not a malfunction. However, given the frequency of these failing under numerous GM platforms, my money would be on the sensors themselves going bad; though you said you've replaced them already recently. I'm surprised the dealer can't find the culprit, as the wiring is pretty simple on them. There's a power, ground, low speed data, and sometimes the mirror indicator control and that's it. With your truck presumably still being under warranty, let them deal with it.

thanks for your feedback, not really sure when the problem started, as its something I never paid a whole lot of attention to......I live in NV.....no real snow, or mud problems here, and my truck is always kept pretty clean.........the parking sensors are all working properly as far as we can tell, and the two larger rear proximity sensors have been recently replaced with the latest superseded part numbered ones, and as stated, an entirely new factory harness.......The dealer has made all kinds of suggestions, including changing the rear bumper back to stock, having the new sensors matched to my vehicle, removing my CB and radar detector, etc...... but the system works fine sometimes, so I know some of these can't be the problem, and the other sensor related systems seem to work fine.......

I hate to take my truck to the dealers for anything, as it always seems to end up with more damages than fixes.....last time, two paint scratches on my hood, broken mounting clips on back of fuse panel covers, my CB radio and radar detector were disconnected and left that way, The service manager is very nice and offered to take care of damaged items, but I don't relish having to keep leaving my truck there for days and using a loaner......Hopefully I will find the offending problem or component eventually. thanks again

No problem. Is your GPS/ nav working correctly? I found the following in the service data (also a rehash of what i mentioned above):

SIDE DETECTION SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE

This message indicates that the system has been temporarily disabled because the sensor is blocked or can otherwise not accurately detect vehicles or objects. Such instances may be mud, dirt, snow, ice, or slush build-up on the rear fascia, heavy rainfall, excessive road spray, fascia damage or stickers.

The rear cross traffic alert system will read the GPS latitude and longitude on the serial data bus and calculate if the vehicle is within a Radio Astronomy zone. These zones are located in Europe and Japan and require the sensors to be turned off. The “Side Detection System Unavailable” message will be displayed to the driver when this occurs.

If the vehicle is towing a trailer or has an object such as a bicycle rack attached to the rear of the vehicle, the lane change alert system may not function properly and the indicators may illuminate intermittently or remain illuminated all the time. The driver information center may display “SIDE DETECTION SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE”.

Granted, the GPS mention only includes places overseas, but if your truck was reading incorrectly, it could be erroneously disabling based on that. The takeaway is that since your truck is intermittently working, and when it's not it indicates "UNAVAILABLE" tells me that the system is intact, but something is commanding it off.

Edited by carkhz316

Thanks again for trying to help me solve my problem, sure appreciate it!!!

I’m pretty sure my Nav is operating correctly, never had any issues with that, the dealer reprogramed my lane change assist awhile back when it to was not working, it seems to also be working now as well as the parking sensors and following distance indicators... I only have a normal tow hitch installed in my tow receiver, nothing else on the rear of my truck....even tried removing it, no change.....not sure if my cross traffic indicator is working, I suspect that it is linked to the side detection system, so sometimes it works and sometimes I’m not sure..... I read in this forum, someone else is having a similar problem to mine, thats still unsolved also...... too many computer and electronic systems installed these days, all great when everything is working

Hi, Theweavman. Were you able to resolve your concerns? If not, our team is more than happy to connect with the dealership on your bahalf. If interested, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: theweavman/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC.

Aleigha W. 

• 1 year later...

I am having a very similar problem.  I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 LTZ with side detection system.  It quit working about 2 months ago during a period of heavy and frequent rains giving the message Side Detection System Temporarily unavailable.  I live on the farm and drive through caliche driveway every day.  Before I hit the 36,000 mile mark, I took it to the dealer to get the system checked out / fixed.  They looked at it and gave me a bulletin that says the sensors need to be cleaned, but the system was not made to function by the dealer and has never worked since.  a week ago, I took the corner sensors off behind the bumper and washed it all out with a garden hose.  This did not fix the problem.

I am frustrated.  I paid good money for the higher end package on this truck and I deserve to have it work.  I have owned two cars (Other manufacturers) with blind spot monitors which never failed over >100,000 miles each so I know the technology works, just not on my Chevy!

• 4 months later...

Anyone have updates on the fix/repair for this? My 2020 RST 1500 started to display this message at start up about a month ago.  We have had snow in the Chicago area, but I have washed and rinsed the entire truck and underside of the rear bumper and still get the message.  Thanks for any help.  Truck has 18,000 miles on it and has been into the dealer 5 times now for the rear slider window leak, including being completely replaced after the 3rd visit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue on my 2020 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71.  

its been ongoing for the past 3 months. 

it was at dealership already for glow plug issue and turning of on me for no reason after pulling off to the side of the road to wait for someone about 3-5 min

• 5 months later...

I have this same issue however I have a 2021 1500 Elevation diesel. My side detection works great around town and on long trips, for the first hour or two. Then, I get “side detection is temporarily unavailable.” It only happens around your 2 of my trip. If I turn my truck off then back on, it works again. I have brought it to dealer 2x. They stated unless the alert is up, they can’t really do anything. So….. I took pictures when it happens. Still, the alert didn’t come on while at the dealer, although I told them it only happens on longer trips. Dealer told me they can’t pay a technician to drive 2 hours to diagnose my truck. Very frustrating. Anyone have any idea why? No rain, snow, mud or debris on the truck. 8D99ADE4-87BD-42EF-B790-0F388DC15F57.thumb.jpeg.ff57164024e8f91a9765cfa762c9547d.jpeg

They arent mechanics anymore. If it doesnt give them the problem, they dont know how to fix it. Granted mine has done the same thing or turned off park assist. Randomly and random timing.

• 6 months later...

I have the same trouble on my 2021 Acadia as described by Kimber W.  I noticed that when this happens the battery voltage reading is at 12.7vdc.  When I stop and turn the engine off and the back on the voltage is 13.9+vdc and the error message does not appear.  When I resume 70+mph the voltage goes down to 12.7vdc and stays rock solid at that value.  About an hour passes and the error message returns.  Wondering if the connector or the sensor itself is corroded enough to lower the voltage even more and hose up the sensor.  This seems to be the only time I get the error message - well into long trips.  Also it seems to affect the right side sensor only as the mirror light on the right does not illuminate while the left side is normal in operation.  I know that the charging systems fluctuate normally as demand changes.  Maybe 12.7vdc is a cliff for proper operation?  More on this later.  Will discuss with GMC service folks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 1:56 PM, DRPelley said:

I have the same trouble on my 2021 Acadia as described by Kimber W.  I noticed that when this happens the battery voltage reading is at 12.7vdc.  When I stop and turn the engine off and the back on the voltage is 13.9+vdc and the error message does not appear.  When I resume 70+mph the voltage goes down to 12.7vdc and stays rock solid at that value.  About an hour passes and the error message returns.  Wondering if the connector or the sensor itself is corroded enough to lower the voltage even more and hose up the sensor.  This seems to be the only time I get the error message - well into long trips.  Also it seems to affect the right side sensor only as the mirror light on the right does not illuminate while the left side is normal in operation.  I know that the charging systems fluctuate normally as demand changes.  Maybe 12.7vdc is a cliff for proper operation?  More on this later.  Will discuss with GMC service folks.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, DRPelley.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Acadia. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: DRPelley/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 2022 trail boss, and I'm encountering similar issues. It started with random intermittent issues stating side detection unavailable, and would then randomly start working again. For the past 2 weeks, it has not worked at all. If anyone has a good fix, I'd love to hear it.