washer fluid pump stopped working

Hi all,

Went to get an inspection sticker on my 16 Sierra with 6,600 miles on it.  It failed because my washer fluid pump isn't working.  I found the following youtube video showing how to replace the pump from the wheel-well but it's missing a bunch of steps and from the comments, people said it's a PITA.  I also did a search on this forum and found a thread where someone replaced it by pulling the driver side headlight out.  My truck is not under warranty anymore.

If anyone has replaced their washer fluid pump, can you provide some tips?  Did you go from the wheel-well or the headlight? 

Thanks,

M

Edited by jonesumd

2 hours ago, Mileguru said:

Where do you live? Even shitty California isn't nanny enough to check your washer fluid pump. Good God!!!

LOL, I live in your little sister nanny state, good old Taxachusetts.

Aha, that explains it. My wife is from New Hampshire and we spend a lot of time there, so I know Taxachusetts all too well. Good luck with the washer pump.

Find a better station. I live in NY and have never failed an inspection, even with no cats, washers, and even an entirely missing front fascia years ago. Having to bend over for a washer pump (though very nice to have and I won’t drive without one) is criminal. My inspections usually last 5 minutes. 

4 hours ago, 16LT4 said:

Find a better station. I live in NY and have never failed an inspection, even with no cats, washers, and even an entirely missing front fascia years ago. Having to bend over for a washer pump (though very nice to have and I won’t drive without one) is criminal. My inspections usually last 5 minutes. 

Almost impossible to find a shady inspection station in MA.   They take pictures of front/rear/sides of your car during the inspection which is mandatory by the state.

On 5/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, jonesumd said:

Hi all,

Went to get an inspection sticker on my 16 Sierra with 6,600 miles on it.  It failed because my washer fluid pump isn't working.  I found the following youtube video showing how to replace the pump from the wheel-well but it's missing a bunch of steps and from the comments, people said it's a PITA.  I also did a search on this forum and found a thread where someone replaced it by pulling the driver side headlight out.  My truck is not under warranty anymore.

If anyone has replaced their washer fluid pump, can you provide some tips?  Did you go from the wheel-well or the headlight? 

Thanks,

M

Well, GM service manual shows pulling the headlamp but that involves pulling the grille and the top bumper cap and maybe even the fender liner just to get to the screws to get the light out. 

I would opt for the instructions on pulling the tank instead perhaps?

Windshield Washer Solvent Container Replacement (LD)

Object ID: 3281894
Windshield Washer Solvent Container Replacement

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
  1. Remove the front wheelhouse liner-left side. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement - Left Side.
  2. Remove the front wheelhouse panel front bracket. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Panel Front Bracket Replacement.
  3. Disconnect the windshield washer pump hose connection to the windshield washer pump. Refer to Windshield Washer Pump Hose Replacement
  4. Remove the auxiliary battery tray, (If equipped). Refer to Auxiliary Battery Tray Replacement.

Windshield Washer Solvent Container Bolt (Qty: 4)

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Procedure

Remove the upper two solvent container bolts in the auxiliary battery tray area prior to raising the vehicle.

Tighten

9 Y (80 lb in)

Windshield Washer Solvent Container

Procedure
  1. Place a clean suitable drain pan under the windshield washer pump area to recover the windshield washer solvent when the windshield washer hose is disconnected.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the windshield washer solvent level sensor.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the windshield washer pump.
  4. Remove the windshield washer solvent container from the vehicle.
  5. Empty the windshield washer solvent into a suitable clean container.
  6. Transfer parts as needed.

Edited by newdude

On 5/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, 16LT4 said:

What's criminal is finding a lick and stick to pass an unsafe vehicle.  

7 hours ago, newdude said:

What's criminal is finding a lick and stick to pass an unsafe vehicle.  

Yeah, because a non functioning washer pump makes the vehicle unsafe. Oh how can I clean the windows without automation?!?! Government save us from ourselves!!

I replaced the washer fluid pump this afternoon.  Here are the steps I did.  Hopefully this will help the next person.

1) I followed this YouTube video which does the following

- remove part of the front of the wheel flair

- remove the cover under the hood

- remove part of the upper bumper (just below the headlights)

- remove the grill

- remove the driver side headlight

2) You need to remove the wheel-well cover on the driver side.  This is done by removing a few T screws.  You need to remove the screws just in the front of the wheel, just enough so you can get underneath the washer tank.  No need to take the entire wheel-well cover off

3) Under the wash tank is a metal housing which is used to protect the tank.  I believe it's 5 screws. Take the cover off.  

4) Unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the washer tank

5) I removed the 2nd battery plate also.  You will need to finagle it out as the front of the battery plate hits the wash tank

6) Disconnect the pump and the fluid level connectors.  Disconnect the tube that's going to the pump.  If you can't get to the pump connector, you can pull it out of the tank housing.  Note: wash fluid will leak out.

7) Pull the tank out underneath

8) Replace the pump.  I used the original rubber grommet instead of the one with the new pump.  The quality of the original looked better

9) Before you reassemble everything, fill the tank up with some water to make sure it's not leaking.

10) Also before reassemble, connect the pump, tube, and fluid checker in but don't screw anything in yet.  Fill the tank with some washer fluid.  Connect the battery and check that the pump is working and that nothing is leaking

11) Reverse the steps to assemble.  I didn't face anything unusual putting everything back.

A few notes & gotchas I hit

1) Before you go through the hassle of replacing the pump, double check it's not simply a blown fuse. The fuse is number 54 (I think) under the hood by the driver side

2) Disconnect the battery before you start pulling things apart

3) I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the headlight connector.  I didn't want to snap it (I've done this before on my other cars) so I let the headlight rest on a makeshift table in front of the bumper while still connected.

4) When I tried to remove the connector to the fluid level check, I ended up pulling the entire thing out of the tank.  Not a big deal as you take the tank off anyways.  To get the level check back in, I used a screwdriver and worked my way around the rubber until to went back in.  Make sure it's really in there, you'll know because it's a tight fit. Also make sure the float is in the correct position.  You will see a rectangle notch.

5) The youtube video says to pull the side of the bumper off.  I ended up snapping a few plastic clips while doing this.  If you do this, you'll notice what broke off is a replaceable part if you want to replace it.  The bumper snapped in fine for me still.  I broke 1 plastic clip on one side and 2 on the other side.  They aren't really clips but notches.

6) When you start pulling the middle snaps on the bumper, make sure your screwdriver is where the snaps are.  I ended up going from the bottom and unsnapping each underneath. 

• Thanks 1