Rough country 3in lift any good?

I want to lift my truck, but no too much, i also dont want to just level it. Looking at this rough country 3inch lift that seems affordable, anyone have experience with it? Again i dont want to do anything more than 4 inches, 3 seems perfect. Im thinking leveling really ruins the ride as it did to my previous ford. Any thoughts? I dont plan to change wheels or tires just fyi. This is my truck. 

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-95830.html?find=2020-chevy-silverado-2500-hd-4wd-568900

41E6D535-27D8-4799-AF6C-C4C52C543B9D.jpeg

Edited by STRUCTUAL_PE
Forgot link

not a fan RC and turning the keys 3 inches I believe is borderline.....a cheap kit at maximum height of a components capacity cant be a good combo

it is a 60k truck....give it some respect, lol....JK....but seriously I would look into it a bit more to see what would be best.....torsion bars is new to me but RC isn't  and they get lot of complaints, and have buddies who hated their stuff and swapped it out....

their shocks are junk I do know for sure...…..you get what you pay for, some will never notice so just depends what type you are.....its hard to tell what peoples expectations are on these forums....

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

Those types of kits are basically glorified leveling kits. Rough Country, Zone Offroad, CCM, Cognito, etc...they're all the same. I wouldn't go over 2.5" with those kits if you want to keep a nice ride. Anything higher than that, you should go with a full suspension lift kit.  

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this thread....  anyone install this kit on their trucks lately? Last post was from May 2020.

How's the ride quality?  I can't find another full kit that includes shocks with a 3" or smaller "lift".  I don't want/care for anything higher than 4".. so this kit seems perfect.  If there's a higher quality option, please enlighten me! I want to put on a quality product. 

I'm putting on 35x12.50r22s on the fuel blitz 22" -18 wheels fwiw.

Definitely care about ride quality as well as longevity & quality of the product.  I did just find the ReadyLift kit is out now...

Found this 3.5"/3" kit from ReadyLift -- https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-front-with-3-rear-with-fabricated-control-arms-and-bilstein-shocks-gm-silverado-sierra-2500hd-2020.html

That'd be the only under 4" full kit that I've found that's comparable to the RC 3" lift kit.  Might be worth the extra bit of money if it provides a better ride quality and superior components!

Any more insight? Thanks!!

Edited by Schmidty

i have the base Readylift kit and Cognito UCAs in the garage waiting to go on.

I spent several weeks looking at the various kits, components, pricing, etc...

I went this route because the RL is the most complete kit for the price.

I went with Cognito's tubular arms because they provide more bump stop clearance without cutting off the bump stop like their boxed arms. I looked at most other manufactures that have boxed arms. Most seem to limit travel without cutting the stop off. I don't like those new Readylift arms because the ball joint is pressed in. not easily replaced

i will be upgrading shocks, just don't know to what yet. I also want to get this kit on and see where the heights end up at. I have both 1 and 2" blocks for the rear, so depending on which one I go with, will determine the shock I need

Edited by kylant
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Schmidty said:

Revisiting this thread....  anyone install this kit on their trucks lately? Last post was from May 2020.

How's the ride quality?  I can't find another full kit that includes shocks with a 3" or smaller "lift".  I don't want/care for anything higher than 4".. so this kit seems perfect.  If there's a higher quality option, please enlighten me! I want to put on a quality product. 

I'm putting on 35x12.50r22s on the fuel blitz 22" -18 wheels fwiw.

Definitely care about ride quality as well as longevity & quality of the product.  I did just find the ReadyLift kit is out now...

Found this 3.5"/3" kit from ReadyLift -- https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-front-with-3-rear-with-fabricated-control-arms-and-bilstein-shocks-gm-silverado-sierra-2500hd-2020.html

That'd be the only under 4" full kit that I've found that's comparable to the RC 3" lift kit.  Might be worth the extra bit of money if it provides a better ride quality and superior components!

Any more insight? Thanks!!

As Dunn stated above, theres no way i'd put a cheap lift on a 60-70k truck.  The Readylift may be a way better, but the Rough Country is garbage.  If money is the deciding factor here, i'd just save up more money and get a better kit, but there's no way i'd sacrifice my ride just for minimal ground clearance and to fit new wheels and tires.

7 minutes ago, gSwift said:

As Dunn stated above, theres no way i'd put a cheap lift on a 60-70k truck.  The Readylift may be a way better, but the Rough Country is garbage.  If money is the deciding factor here, i'd just save up more money and get a better kit, but there's no way i'd sacrifice my ride just for minimal ground clearance and to fit new wheels and tires.

I totally understand, which is why I posed the question. I don't want to put a cheap kit on here just to regret it 6 months later. There are two different issues at play here..  cost isn't necessarily an issue because we're talking $600 difference between the RC and RL kits (compared to what you're spending on the entire package of wheels, tires, lift, labor, etc).  If it was $700 vs $2500, that's a different convo.

1. the RC kit that i'm (and the original thread question was about) is referring to a "complete" kit, replacing UCAs, shocks, keys, etc... the one that Dunn referred to is their lift kit which does NOT include all of these items.

3" Rough Country bolt on "complete" kit: https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-95830.html

vs.

2" Rough Country leveling kit (*NOT CONSIDERING THIS FOR MY TRUCK*): https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-9594c.html?find=2020-gmc-sierra-2500-hd-4wd-740565

vs.

3.5"/3" ReadyLIFT Kit: https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-front-with-3-rear-with-fabricated-control-arms-and-bilstein-shocks-gm-silverado-sierra-2500hd-2020.html

2. the ReadyLIFT kit is factory backordered with virtually no end in sight. unless somebody knows where to get one soon, it could be months before they're back in stock. so unfortunately, we're up against the supply chain issues and i'm far too impatient to wait an indefinite amount of time for the kit while my wheels and tires sit off my truck.

Is it possible to put better shocks on the truck with the other RC kit components? Could you put Fox or Bilstein shocks on there instead? Would that be noticeably better? 

Just talking through what mine (and others) options are with the current state of offerings for <4" lift kits for these 2020's. There's a lot more options for kits that lift it 5-7.5" but I'm not (nor are others out there) interested in that additional height!

Thanks for the replies so far! Would love to learn more about this!

2 hours ago, Schmidty said:

I totally understand, which is why I posed the question. I don't want to put a cheap kit on here just to regret it 6 months later. There are two different issues at play here..  cost isn't necessarily an issue because we're talking $600 difference between the RC and RL kits (compared to what you're spending on the entire package of wheels, tires, lift, labor, etc).  If it was $700 vs $2500, that's a different convo.

1. the RC kit that i'm (and the original thread question was about) is referring to a "complete" kit, replacing UCAs, shocks, keys, etc... the one that Dunn referred to is their lift kit which does NOT include all of these items.

3" Rough Country bolt on "complete" kit: https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-95830.html

vs.

2" Rough Country leveling kit (*NOT CONSIDERING THIS FOR MY TRUCK*): https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-9594c.html?find=2020-gmc-sierra-2500-hd-4wd-740565

vs.

3.5"/3" ReadyLIFT Kit: https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-front-with-3-rear-with-fabricated-control-arms-and-bilstein-shocks-gm-silverado-sierra-2500hd-2020.html

2. the ReadyLIFT kit is factory backordered with virtually no end in sight. unless somebody knows where to get one soon, it could be months before they're back in stock. so unfortunately, we're up against the supply chain issues and i'm far too impatient to wait an indefinite amount of time for the kit while my wheels and tires sit off my truck.

Is it possible to put better shocks on the truck with the other RC kit components? Could you put Fox or Bilstein shocks on there instead? Would that be noticeably better? 

Just talking through what mine (and others) options are with the current state of offerings for <4" lift kits for these 2020's. There's a lot more options for kits that lift it 5-7.5" but I'm not (nor are others out there) interested in that additional height!

Thanks for the replies so far! Would love to learn more about this!

Yeah you can put different shocks on. Cognito told me that our trucks have the same rear shocks from like 2011 to 2020, so I ended up going with the Fox shocks with external reservoirs for a 1-4" lift.  They weren't part of a "kit" at the time I ordered but I think they are now. 

Whatever leveling kit you go with, whether it comes with shocks or not, you can get shocks to work with it. I know for a fact that Cognito will sale you just the Fox shocks if thats what you want, with or without external resi's. I saw two different shocks for our trucks, shocks for 0-1" lift and shocks for 1-4" lift.

In my opinion, anything would be better than the shocks that come on the trucks. The Rancho's on my AT4 ride like crap

Edited by gSwift

keys are keys, some are indexed different. some are forged, some are cast. one company's are adjustable. 

UCAs are all over the place. Many are great quality. many have easily replaceable ball joints. I would stay away from pressed in ball joints.

Shocks, I feel, are where the major differences are. IMO the shocks make the most difference (as long as the UCA is addressed.

I am undecided on shocks. I will probably just go with Fox 2.0. They are fine for my intended purposes.

I have had custom valved Kings, custom valved Fox 2.0 resi, custom Fox 2.0, Bilsteins, etc...

The best street riding shock was the Fox 2.0 Resi

34 minutes ago, kylant said:

keys are keys, some are indexed different. some are forged, some are cast. one company's are adjustable. 

UCAs are all over the place. Many are great quality. many have easily replaceable ball joints. I would stay away from pressed in ball joints.

Shocks, I feel, are where the major differences are. IMO the shocks make the most difference (as long as the UCA is addressed.

I am undecided on shocks. I will probably just go with Fox 2.0. They are fine for my intended purposes.

I have had custom valved Kings, custom valved Fox 2.0 resi, custom Fox 2.0, Bilsteins, etc...

The best street riding shock was the Fox 2.0 Resi

Yeah from my understanding of the suspension, the shocks are going to dictate the ride quality the most, as long as the component angles are similar, if not the same, as the stock angles (UCA, tie rods, etc etc).

I think i may put the Rough Country kit on there with Bilstein shocks instead of the N3's.  We got word that the ReadyLIFT kit is going to be back in stock mid-October so depending on my install date and my patience level.

Wondering if the uca's on both kits modify the ball joint angle? I didn't see any indication on the websights. You can see in the images that they lower the tubes to the indexing of the frame mounts to help with clearance. 

Also, anybody have success with getting a dealer to rec-alibrate for larger tires yet? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Stand By said:

Wondering if the uca's on both kits modify the ball joint angle? I didn't see any indication on the websights. You can see in the images that they lower the tubes to the indexing of the frame mounts to help with clearance. 

Also, anybody have success with getting a dealer to rec-alibrate for larger tires yet? 

Thanks.

This RC video has a good demonstration of what you're talking about!  Both (3" Rough Country and 3.5" ReadyLIFT) include new UCAs with optimal ball joint angles after the lift.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.17.45 PM.png

Edited by Schmidty
  • Like 1

I would just piece it out.....or mix and match....probably the diff would need addressing as well

get UCA of your choice, buy some keys, buy a block and get shocks you want.....would at least put an eibach or bilstein shock on there...they are afterall suspension companies...KING or Fox would be really nice ..that would be my thought anyways

they all look the same at any given height ....put some decent shocks on for sure...