Transmission Fluid Recommendations

Damn....looks like there is plenty of wiggle room.....dont feel like doing all the other things I've seen to try and drop the pan.....we will see....thanks for the video

Yep. Once you drop the filter, flip it over with the tube pointing down so it comes out of the pan. Also make sure you slide the pan all the way to the passenger side once dropped. It will give more clearance.

e3e6492231f5dafea497c0bd94a2e8a5.jpg
5b7b4fd3f17afa3e11b88cf978569d23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I changed the fluid in my six speed around 50K and it was due. Did a pan drop and replacement with an 8 quart PML with drain plug and a fresh Delco OEM filter. Around the same time flipped the trans stat pill and filled her up with Red Line D-6. Ran awhile and repeated the drop and fill. Three times so far. Now at 118 K. Runs as cool as the other side of the pillow [emoji4] Shifts n...i...c...e. No shutter, no shake rock rattle just roll. 

Other day running 60 mph on a 95 F day and saw 167 F tops all day. I do not tow. I run a 170 F water thermostat and I can tell that if I did tow or was hotter than 100 F allot I'd need more cooler. I'm a big fan of staying under 160 F. I can do that now by remaining 55 mph or less. 

What’s GM’s reasoning for making these transmission run a bit hot? We all know heat kills these things. Mine can reach 194 if I am driving for a few hours but usually hovers around 185 to 190.

2 hours ago, Bob2C said:

What’s GM’s reasoning for making these transmission run a bit hot? 

Maximum efficiency and emissions.  They want it to heat up quick and you can remove or modify it to get the temps down.  Grumpy has shown how to do on his pages.

Maximum efficiency and emissions.  They want it to heat up quick and you can remove or modify it to get the temps down.  Grumpy has shown how to do on his pages.

Ok. Thanks. I kinda figured it had something to do with emissions.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob2C said:

What’s GM’s reasoning for making these transmission run a bit hot? We all know heat kills these things. Mine can reach 194 if I am driving for a few hours but usually hovers around 185 to 190.

Morning Bob: 

OEM's are under the gun to lower emissions and raise fuel efficiency. The emissions thing is sort of funny in that heat helps one gas and hurts another. There is a sweet spot and they are well beyond it. They place the priority on where ever the EPA is shining the light. 

The fuel efficiency part is rather consumer cruel. The focus is in viscous drag so they concentrate on running the least viscous fluids as hot as possible without instant destruction. Get as close to the edge of the cliff as possible without falling off so as to avoid an unhealthy dose of failures. How are they doing? 2.4 motors run the oil so hot that that it gums/varnish killing the ring packs by 100K ish.  Yea, even Group III synthetics like QSUD and Mobil 1. Early killer. Instead of fix the problem the extended the warranty to a very precise 115K with a silly oil usage requirement until they just flat replaced that motor with others even more power dense. How's the for a cure? Guess they never heard the saying: 

"You can shear a sheep forever. You can only skin him once!'

Funny that the majority of fuel 'wasted' isn't wasted once the system is up the temperature but rather getting to temperature. Few people drive far enough anymore to fully heat the system. Good for GM bad for buyer. They have designed to actually work against their own goal is a few ways. 

1.) The trans thermostat hasn't a minimum flow bypass and its use actually delays heat up of the fluid. A great example of being focused on the wrong end of the problem. 

2.) If you life somewhere cold enough to have ordered the block heater it is prevented from working by a thermal switch until some silly low temperature placing PCM diagnostics above practical matters of engine protection. 

3.) Fluids are run so hot they rely less on the film and more on chemistry for protection.  Bad trade Dumb Bear.

Morning Bob: 

OEM's are under the gun to lower emissions and raise fuel efficiency. The emissions thing is sort of funny in that heat helps one gas and hurts another. There is a sweet spot and they are well beyond it. They place the priority on where ever the EPA is shining the light. 

The fuel efficiency part is rather consumer cruel. The focus is in viscous drag so they concentrate on running the least viscous fluids as hot as possible without instant destruction. Get as close to the edge of the cliff as possible without falling off so as to avoid an unhealthy dose of failures. How are they doing? 2.4 motors run the oil so hot that that it gums/varnish killing the ring packs by 100K ish.  Yea, even Group III synthetics like QSUD and Mobil 1. Early killer. Instead of fix the problem the extended the warranty to a very precise 115K with a silly oil usage requirement until they just flat replaced that motor with others even more power dense. How's the for a cure? Guess they never heard the saying: 

"You can shear a sheep forever. You can only skin him once!'

Funny that the majority of fuel 'wasted' isn't wasted once the system is up the temperature but rather getting to temperature. Few people drive far enough anymore to fully heat the system. Good for GM bad for buyer. They have designed to actually work against their own goal is a few ways. 

1.) The trans thermostat hasn't a minimum flow bypass and its use actually delays heat up of the fluid. A great example of being focused on the wrong end of the problem. 

2.) If you life somewhere cold enough to have ordered the block heater it is prevented from working by a thermal switch until some silly low temperature placing PCM diagnostics above practical matters of engine protection. 

3.) Fluids are run so hot they rely less on the film and more on chemistry for protection.  Bad trade Dumb Bear.

Thanks Grumps. Makes sense now. Like many have stated. They only care about getting to the end of the warranty period. They are in the car sales business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob2C said:

Thanks Grumps. Makes sense now. Like many have stated. They only care about getting to the end of the warranty period. They are in the car sales business.

They make money, not cars. Few are real "car people' anymore. the few that are we can't afford.