In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

TheGreatOne

Transmission Fluid Recommendations

As the title states.....what are your recommendations for transmission fluid?  I want the best available.....but i can't find anything on the internet on comparisons.....so please tell me what you recommend and just a little bit why you chose that fluid.

Thanks in advance 

For what transmission?  Different transmissions need different fluids.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use AMSOIL  ATL 100% Synthetic in my 2017 Sierra Denali 8sp (0ver 30,000 miles on it) and have since 1980.  Its the highest quality fluid available IMO.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davester said:

For what transmission?  Different transmissions need different fluids.

Six speed transmission for a 5.3 Silverado.

6 hours ago, elcamino said:

I use AMSOIL  ATL 100% Synthetic in my 2017 Sierra Denali 8sp (0ver 30,000 miles on it) and have since 1980.  Its the highest quality fluid available IMO.

That is one of my choices...since I read good things about their severe gear oil

Did mine last week at 24k. Went with the above stated AMSOIL. Was able to change out about 11qts. Followed this video below. No need to remove pan. Plenty of room to work.

• Like 1

I have an 8spd and go with the Mobil One Synthetic LV ATF HP Dex-VI (p/n 124715). This is what is used at the dealers. I like Mobil One products anyway, and I know GM uses Mobil One quite a bit now, so there's a piece of mind of not worrying about a possible warranty concern down the road. Links below.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil-1-124715-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-6-Quarts,388553.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4tN-1ABS3gVTB-pTTIGbL0oSxo50ULZ7pBT5fnTFYIpZ9jCBsV8yfoaAriGEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-124715-Synthetic-Quart-Bottles/dp/B07Q3H159N

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-124715

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-124715-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-6-Quarts/332172799

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCL124715

• Thanks 1

Is the search function broken on this site, I swear "oil" threads are about 100 threads strong.

AMSOIL is what I use. It was put in my 2002 at 10k miles and now has 198k miles on it and the 4L60E.  I tow a 4K lbs trailer on occasion and the last fluid I tested was in the transmission for 100k miles before I changed out the filter and the UOA came back good. 

AMSOIL did a taxi cab study a while back.  They don't have any info on their web site since it so old of a study but if you Google it I'm sure it will come up on someone elses site. The study was done on a taxi cabs out in Las Vegas and we all know how hot it can get there.

If you are interested in AMSOIL  PM me your address and how much you want and I can get a quote delivered to your door.  :)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Six speed transmission for a 5.3 Silverado.

I changed the fluid in my six speed around 50K and it was due. Did a pan drop and replacement with an 8 quart PML with drain plug and a fresh Delco OEM filter. Around the same time flipped the trans stat pill and filled her up with Red Line D-6. Ran awhile and repeated the drop and fill. Three times so far. Now at 118 K. Runs as cool as the other side of the pillow :) Shifts n...i...c...e. No shutter, no shake rock rattle just roll. 

Other day running 60 mph on a 95 F day and saw 167 F tops all day. I do not tow. I run a 170 F water thermostat and I can tell that if I did tow or was hotter than 100 F allot I'd need more cooler. I'm a big fan of staying under 160 F. I can do that now by remaining 55 mph or less. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Is the search function broken on this site, I swear "oil" threads are about 100 threads strong.

If there is.....A: it is to old of a thread that it didnt show up for me or B: it was an engine oil thread, which I found many of......i tried to look all over the internet....nothing came up if not I wouldn't be here asking

Thread from 8 days ago.

2 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Thread from 8 days ago.

Not doubting you......but as my post stated.....it didn't come up for me brotha.....i even checked youtube.....I mean this site is for help isn't it?......so big deal I created another thread.....how does it affect you.....plenty of good people already helping me...in fact you could posted that first to be helpful.....thanks 

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I changed the fluid in my six speed around 50K and it was due. Did a pan drop and replacement with an 8 quart PML with drain plug and a fresh Delco OEM filter. Around the same time flipped the trans stat pill and filled her up with Red Line D-6. Ran awhile and repeated the drop and fill. Three times so far. Now at 118 K. Runs as cool as the other side of the pillow :) Shifts n...i...c...e. No shutter, no shake rock rattle just roll. 

Other day running 60 mph on a 95 F day and saw 167 F tops all day. I do not tow. I run a 170 F water thermostat and I can tell that if I did tow or was hotter than 100 F allot I'd need more cooler. I'm a big fan of staying under 160 F. I can do that now by remaining 55 mph or less. 

very helpful info....thats where I'm at....approaching 50k and I feel like she needs it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob2C said:

Did mine last week at 24k. Went with the above stated AMSOIL. Was able to change out about 11qts. Followed this video below. No need to remove pan. Plenty of room to work.

Damn....looks like there is plenty of wiggle room.....dont feel like doing all the other things I've seen to try and drop the pan.....we will see....thanks for the video