Proper Way to Level 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71

Hey guys I have a new 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71 and I am looking to level my front end in order to fit bigger wheels/tires. After doing some research, I have been very hesitant to purchase a simple leveling spacer to fit above the front shocks due to the potential issues which this may cause with the vehicle's factory geometry. I am trying to retain good ride quality and performance as I mainly drive in the city though I do partake in some moderate offroading occasionally. I figured that doing a full suspension conversion and purchasing new upper control arms would be the most practical route to take, however even after hours of research, I still don't feel completely knowledgeable on this subject and which parts are the best quality (I am still very much a truck noob lol). I found that Cognito sells a Fox 2.0 + UCA 3inch leveling kit found here (https://cognitomotorsports.com/i-30499654-cognito-3-performance-ball-joint-leveling-lift-kit-with-fox-ps-coilover-2-0-ifp-gm.html#!submodel%3DTRUCK||model%3D1500||make%3DGM||year%3D2020), but I was reading that the Service Perch and larger mounting holes have to be drilled to install the UCAs. A few of my questions/concerns are:

• Will trimming/drilling factory parts a big deal and will it cause excess warranty issues?
  • Is the Cognito kit a quality kit that will last? If not, what is a comparable kit that is still somewhat budget friendly (shocks +UCA)?
  • What other modifications/adjustments do I need to consider when installing a suspension leveling kit in order to retain good angles?
  • Is the suspension level overkill and can I get away by just using a strut spacer with my factory Rancho shocks?

I haven't found too much info regarding this topic and I want to know what you guys think. Thanks!

That kit looks solid, but it is pricey. I just watched a video on YouTube for this kit, but on the previous generation silverado. They had to drill the knuckle out 1/2" to get the ball joint to go in. It doesn't seem too hard of a job. What size tires are you looking to run?

The kit comes with a 2inch block for the rear so I am assuming the truck will be fairly level after installation. Still want to be able to tow if I have a fairly heavy payload.

That kit will be 1-1.5in tail high. It's a "level lift" as cognito calls it. Perfectly level woul be their ,"level" version. PN: 110-P0874

the issue with perfectly leveled trucks is the moment you put even a hundred pounds in the bed the rear end squats.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hey guys I have a new 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71 and I am looking to level my front end in order to fit bigger wheels/tires. After doing some research, I have been very hesitant to purchase a simple leveling spacer to fit above the front shocks due to the potential issues which this may cause with the vehicle's factory geometry. I am trying to retain good ride quality and performance as I mainly drive in the city though I do partake in some moderate offroading occasionally. I figured that doing a full suspension conversion and purchasing new upper control arms would be the most practical route to take, however even after hours of research, I still don't feel completely knowledgeable on this subject and which parts are the best quality (I am still very much a truck noob lol). I found that Cognito sells a Fox 2.0 + UCA 3inch leveling kit found here (https://cognitomotorsports.com/i-30499654-cognito-3-performance-ball-joint-leveling-lift-kit-with-fox-ps-coilover-2-0-ifp-gm.html#!submodel%3DTRUCK||model%3D1500||make%3DGM||year%3D2020), but I was reading that the Service Perch and larger mounting holes have to be drilled to install the UCAs. A few of my questions/concerns are:
  • Will trimming/drilling factory parts a big deal and will it cause excess warranty issues?
  • Is the Cognito kit a quality kit that will last? If not, what is a comparable kit that is still somewhat budget friendly (shocks +UCA)?
  • What other modifications/adjustments do I need to consider when installing a suspension leveling kit in order to retain good angles?
  • Is the suspension level overkill and can I get away by just using a strut spacer with my factory Rancho shocks?
I haven't found too much info regarding this topic and I want to know what you guys think. Thanks!

1. Cognito makes quality stuff.

2. No, if you are doing sheet metal and doing get it painted, corrosion claims could get difficult, but corrosion warranty requires perforation anyway.
They (GM corporate) would need to prove the failure was a result of the lift itself to not cover.

3. The upper control arm in the kit will adjust the ball joint to a normal static level. CV axles angle won't be stock, but shouldn't cause issues overtime. Only way to get stock CV angles is to do a bracket kit which requires cutting the crossmemmber mounts.

4. Are you happy with the ranchos? 2.0 IFP are kinda in the tweener group. Definitely a quality shock, but no remote reservoir and not rebuildable. if you're only going to keep the truck a couple years it should be fine but if you plan on keeping it longer having rebuildable is nice that also lets you customize the shim stack to your liking to get it to behave just like you want.

5. Cognito is a quality brand. If you are very concerned about factory warranty. There are other brands that offer powertrain protection warranty for free with their kits, basically how it works as long as you stick with the recommended tire size and don't modify their kit. they have a team of lawyers who will fight the OEM if the OEM tries to claim that their kit caused the damage. And cover the repair if they don't win.

Superlift (spacer, or kings), zone off-road {BDS suspension} 3.5 adventure kit (spacer) and a few others offer a drivetrain warranty included in the price.

6. If you are looking for OEM CV angles you have to go with drop bracket kits. Most manufacturers offer ucas, so upper ball joint angles shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a quality kit.

Realistically what kind of off road roads do you normally do and at what speeds do you try to do them? Is your stock suspension hitting the bump stops?

21 hours ago, topgear1224 said:

1. Cognito makes quality stuff.

2. No, if you are doing sheet metal and doing get it painted, corrosion claims could get difficult, but corrosion warranty requires perforation anyway.
They (GM corporate) would need to prove the failure was a result of the lift itself to not cover.

3. The upper control arm in the kit will adjust the ball joint to a normal static level. CV axles angle won't be stock, but shouldn't cause issues overtime. Only way to get stock CV angles is to do a bracket kit which requires cutting the crossmemmber mounts.

4. Are you happy with the ranchos? 2.0 IFP are kinda in the tweener group. Definitely a quality shock, but no remote reservoir and not rebuildable. if you're only going to keep the truck a couple years it should be fine but if you plan on keeping it longer having rebuildable is nice that also lets you customize the shim stack to your liking to get it to behave just like you want.

5. Cognito is a quality brand. If you are very concerned about factory warranty. There are other brands that offer powertrain protection warranty for free with their kits, basically how it works as long as you stick with the recommended tire size and don't modify their kit. they have a team of lawyers who will fight the OEM if the OEM tries to claim that their kit caused the damage. And cover the repair if they don't win.

Superlift (spacer, or kings), zone off-road {BDS suspension} 3.5 adventure kit (spacer) and a few others offer a drivetrain warranty included in the price.

6. If you are looking for OEM CV angles you have to go with drop bracket kits. Most manufacturers offer ucas, so upper ball joint angles shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a quality kit.

Realistically what kind of off road roads do you normally do and at what speeds do you try to do them? Is your stock suspension hitting the bump stops?

Thanks so much for such a thorough response! I am trying to fit 34s on my truck to give a more aggressive look and also offer functional performance. My offroading mainly includes wooded dirt roads through dense mud/clay and the yearly trip through the mountains in Colorado. I am never really going at too high of speeds so thats why I figured the 2.0s would fit my needs and also be a little bit easier on my wallet. I am planning on keeping my truck for upwards of 8-10 years, however, I would be willing to upgrade the suspension in the late future if necessary. Do you still think this setup is the best option? Should I look into buying the Fox Coilovers separately then choosing another set of higher quality UCAs? Also, should I get a kit with or without the 2 inch block in the rear? I dont mind a little bit of rake if the tow performance is increased drastically, but I would like to get away from the awful factory stance my truck has now.  

Thanks so much for such a thorough response! I am trying to fit 34s on my truck to give a more aggressive look and also offer functional performance. My offroading mainly includes wooded dirt roads through dense mud/clay and the yearly trip through the mountains in Colorado. I am never really going at too high of speeds so thats why I figured the 2.0s would fit my needs and also be a little bit easier on my wallet. I am planning on keeping my truck for upwards of 8-10 years, however, I would be willing to upgrade the suspension in the late future if necessary. Do you still think this setup is the best option? Should I look into buying the Fox Coilovers separately then choosing another set of higher quality UCAs? Also, should I get a kit with or without the 2 inch block in the rear? I dont mind a little bit of rake if the tow performance is increased drastically, but I would like to get away from the awful factory stance my truck has now.  

If you plan on putting any load in your vehicle do not perfectly level it. even on my 2500hd which has rear blocks and factory springs (payload in excess of 2K) 200lbs in the bed makes it nose high. When accelerating from a light the rear squats really bad.

I'm looking at the upper control arms and there's a factory droop limiter that most UCAs have you cut. I can't find their instructions online but looking at their design how it comes out and then makes an angle down makes me think that they're avoiding that.

Stock shocks are 1.8in for reference. Fox makes a fine kit. If you aren't looking for radically more damping (difference is noticable but not world's different) and just need bumper clearance with a more agressive stance. That kit should fit you well. I believe they're one of the few kits that let you have the option of not leveling it.

block kits are pretty cheap so if you end up not liking the look it's not the end of the world to resell the ones that come with the kit on Craigslist or something and buy a different height block.

I've maxed out my 2500hd with the lift kit. It was insanely nose high. Right on the ragged edge of dangerous. Here's a picture not of my actual load but sort of an example of maxed out on the bump stop.2cb9acbac985683c5f741e88a915c2a6.jpg28cdb4bddecde356e2024ba7d3bf2d4a.jpg