issue with my 2000 Sierra 5.3

Hello everyone, i hope im posting in the right area. About a month ago i bought a 2000 GMC sierra Ext cab, SLE 5.3 with 4x4. A few days ago, i went to go get fuel at the gas station less then a mile from my house. Started the truck no problem, got there, shut the truck off, fueled it, and tried to turn it back on. It struggled to turn on, lights dimming, etc. Then the starter started clicking, like a dead battery. Got a friend to come jump me and as soon as the jumper cables attached, tried to start it and it started right up, no need to wait for the battery to charge. got back home and turned it off, and turned it back on and it did it again (It struggled to turn on, lights dimming, etc. Then the starter started clicking, like a dead battery). Attached the jumper cables and put them together for it to have a big spark. Once i attached the jumper cables to another vehicle, and tried to start it,  it started right up again. Once i jumped it again, I plugged a 12v battery tester into my dash, and it showed the battery on charged. Turned it off, it still showed charged. Tried to start it and it struggled to start, starter clicked, and then the tester went on dead. Anyone have any idea whats causing this?

Im going to go to Autozone on monday to get my battery tested because somebody told me it could possibly be a dead cell. Its a Interstate battery that was bought in Nov 2019.

Sounds like a loose ground cable or corrosion at the battery. Take the cables off the battery, clean up the terminals and connect them back up making sure they are tightened up. Try again. If the problem crops up again, go to the cables and give them a good shake and try again. If it starts without a problem, you have bad cables most likely the ground cable. You also trace out the other ends looking for wherever it hooks up to. Disconnect the cable at that point and clean up that area to bare clean metal. You are trying to remove any corrosion. Please note that if you are messing with the positive cable REMOVE it from the battery before disconnecting the other ends. One of those ends will go to the starter so don't forget that one. Considering how old the truck is you should go ahead and replace at least the ground cable. Corrosion tends to build up under the insulation where you cannot see it. The terminals may look perfect but the cable still be bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...