In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Randy Dykes

Engine idle hours increasing from red light stops

Why does my idle hours continue to get higher each day when I don't idle except for traffic lights?

Edited by 99silveradoz71

I didn’t know these measured idle hours. Only option I get is engine hours which is obviously total run time.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, OnTheReel said:

I didn’t know these measured idle hours. Only option I get is engine hours which is obviously total run time.

The T1's display it now I believe....even though they recorded it on K2's just didn't display it like FERD does...GM knows "most" customers flip through the display and go wow..neat blah,blah and rarely ever go back to look?  So why even display it?  So they don't....The only one that would matter to a future,current or used buyer of the truck would want the Engine Hours so they display it.  Nobody cares except for FERD buyers and their Double Limited Platinum King Horn Ranch Extreme Edition buyer who gets that Buldge feeling in his britches when he sees the "Idle Hour Meter"....ummmm that's why I bought a FERD.....He will never glean or base any ownership decisions about vehicle with the data so it's 99% useless to avearge joe.

The ability to see engine hours and idle hours is most likely for fleet/commercial use.  Idle time is a big cost for fleets.

As someone involved in fleet management... most systems that measure idle time do so by the following (numbers may vary)  Anything under 1000rpm for X amount of  seconds or minutes starts the idle time ticking...  Again, I dont know what GM considers idle.. but it will be something like that. 

So, its possible that coming to a stop sign/light will increment some idle time.

Again, this is for fleet customers where you may have 100 trucks and if each is idling and hour or two per day... that's big money!!

Idle hours is a great addition. If I'm buying a used vehicle and it has high idle time, I'll pass. I don't make money when I have to rebuild my own engines ...