What is really meant by the term "these engines like to run warm"?

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What's your end game here? General knowledge? Solving a problem? Planning a modification? Other?

Interestingly enough, a little bit of everything you mentioned.

This is our first GM. IMPO the cooling "strategy" has room for improvement. Based off peoples comments so far, going along with what I am seeing...I find the OE strategy (SW tuning and HW) to be lacking (my comparison is based off other vehicles, so take that FWIW).  Came here to research other peoples experience and what they were seeing. Also, see what people have been doing to remedy the "warn running" condition (plenty of info out there on that topic, so wanted this thread to be more specific and not a discussion of that). Seemingly the main go-to is a t-stat and HPTuners cooling fan tuning adjustments. The aux cooler, aside from the trans, seems to be on the back burner as I only found one person who has the Mishimoto one installed and they never responded to my DM.

Do you happen to know where I can find more details on the Dex-cool?

Going back to its history and not having a great record under high heat / load conditions - I do not see, personally, that there is any special Dex-cool formulation for the L83. Seemingly its the same stuff every other GM uses. The previous 3 GMs I have driven in the past couple months, all small SUVs, never reached ECT temps above like 190F. What is happening to the coolant/structure under thermal cycles in the L83?

4 minutes ago, 14burrito said:

Interestingly enough, a little bit of everything you mentioned.

Do you happen to know where I can find more details on the Dex-cool?

Going back to its history and not having a great record under high heat / load conditions - I do not see, personally, that there is any special Dex-cool formulation for the L83. 

Okay we're fishing. 

Here's what I can tell you about Dex-Cool. I've been using it in everything GM for about 20 years without a single issue. Most issues came from users mixing it with something else. There were some issues with head gasket material incompatibility in motors that were for other reasons overheated exposing some material it didn't get along with.  VERY ancient news. Change it when your suppose to change it and you will never have an issue with it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Okay we're fishing. 

Here's what I can tell you about Dex-Cool. I've been using it in everything GM for about 20 years without a single issue. Most issues came from users mixing it with something else. There were some issues with head gasket material incompatibility in motors that were for other reasons overheated exposing some material it didn't get along with.  VERY ancient news. Change it when your suppose to change it and you will never have an issue with it. 

Isn't research fishing until you find answers? :)

Thank you for the input, personal experience and info. 

3 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Real simple. Change all the fluids. More often is better. Changing the fluids according to the severe duty schedule has worked well for me for over 50 years.

:)

What's your coolant exchange schedule?

Since you decided to chime in, what's your experience with coolant temps? :)

1 hour ago, 14burrito said:

What's your coolant exchange schedule?

Since you decided to chime in, what's your experience with coolant temps? :)

My owners manual says service coolant at 150 K miles. At a minimum I would do 75 K miles. I did mine at about 60 K miles.

Whatever the manual miles for all services I cut the miles in half at least. Did my spark plugs at about 60 K miles not the manual 97500 miles.

As far as temps I don't worry about it because I do fluid changes.

I clean the radiator, A/C condenser and oil cooler when I do the coolant service.  

Edited by diyer2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

My owners manual says service coolant at 150 K miles. At a minimum I would do 75 K miles. I did mine at about 60 K miles.

Whatever the manual miles for all services I cut the miles in half at least. Did my spark plugs at about 60 K miles not the manual 97500 miles.

As far as temps I don't worry about it because I do fluid changes.

I clean the radiator, A/C condenser and oil cooler when I do the coolant service.  

Well, appreciate your input on maintenance schedules.

As per my OP, and posts thereafter suggest, I am looking for numbers in this thread. Real world values from people including their conditions. Was hoping you actually had some data to provide aside from, I dont worry about it because I change fluids more frequently.

As per my OP, and posts thereafter suggest, I am looking for numbers in this thread. Real world values from people including their conditions. Was hoping you actually had some data to provide aside from, I dont worry about it because I change fluids more frequently.

Over thinking it IMO. Not worth my time. 

57 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Over thinking it IMO. Not worth my time. 

Seemingly it was, because you added to thread...otherwise, if it really wasn't, you wouldn't have. ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 14burrito said:

Seemingly it was, because you added to thread...otherwise, if it really wasn't, you wouldn't have. ?

Gotta tell ya 14burrito, your poking at the wrong guy. diyeer2 gives solid input. Might not be what you want to hear but more often than not what you need to hear. Your better off with his advice than without. IMHO of course. 

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Gotta tell ya 14burrito, your poking at the wrong guy. diyeer2 gives solid input. Might not be what you want to hear but more often than not what you need to hear. Your better off with his advice than without. IMHO of course. 

My response was a little facetious and I included the emoji to try and help that come across not as rude, but rather - something sparked interest enough for him to make a comment. Did not ever say that I did not appreciate what diyeer2 stated, but the thread was created asking for #s. He did indeed chime in, provided some personal feedback (which was noted and appreciated) but did not really provide what was being asked for in this discussion.

Not trying to make any internet foes by any means. Genuinely reaching out and trying to stir some back and forth discussion as I (again, personally opinion) feel that the cooling strategy seems off, odd or otherwise.

Goes back to what a wise person stated earlier in this thread:

"OEM's have their reasons. The EPA have theirs. I have mine. We don't all agree."

Edited by 14burrito
  • Like 1

I know your mama told you once or twice that you don't have to voice every thought in your head. 

DISNEY

"Thumper! What did your daddy tell you?"

"If ya can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all."

Looking down kicking at the dirt. 

:crackup:

Hey, but I'm no ones moral compass, right? You have a PM.