What is really meant by the term "these engines like to run warm"?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an observation, not meant to be inflammatory. Higher concentrations of alcohol reduce coolant temperatures due to latent heat of vaporization. 

Currently running e38 as observed via datalog on HPtuners. On my drive to work this morning (26 miles via IH-10, driving at 70 MPH, here is what I saw:

*Ambient temp = 75*

*Intake temp = 77*

*Oil Temp = 185*

*Coolant Temp = 179.8*

Even with a couple stop lights and navigating the parking lot, when I parked the coolant temp was 190* and the oil was 195*. 

And this is all with whatever temp my stock tstat is my '16 Silverado L86...Don't see anything wrong with that! 

Part of me thinks your stock thermostat is sticking open some if that is how cool it runs. I ran roughly E60-E70 this whole summer and with a new stock thermostat it was still 210-215 all day every day.

Before replacement the coolant temps were around 180's on E60 fuel. I bought a new one because of the poor heat in the winter as it took forever to reach 170 degrees.

30 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Part of me thinks your stock thermostat is sticking open some if that is how cool it runs. I ran roughly E60-E70 this whole summer and with a new stock thermostat it was still 210-215 all day every day.

Before replacement the coolant temps were around 180's on E60 fuel. I bought a new one because of the poor heat in the winter as it took forever to reach 170 degrees.

Yeah that could be the case. I've experienced that before and never knew it was stuck until winter came so I'll keep an eye on it. 

On the way home lots of traffic then 15 minutes at 70 MPH on IH10. And no I didn't take these readings after coasting to a stop :)

-91* ambient

-93* intake temp

-210* oil temp

-190* coolant

I'm beginning to think that either:

1) the previous owner of my truck swapped the tstat for a cooler one

-or-

2) my tstat is indeed stuck open. 

As long as I'm getting good heat in the winter, is there any real reason to replace it? I do realize it could get worse necessitating me to replace it. 

It does heat up pretty quickly too. I've dealt with legit failed thermostats and this isn't anywhere near that slow to heat up. 

It looks like based on this ECT spark table that spark is unaffected between 176* and 212*,...

image.png.f70227f66cac97510853404871d2755e.png

Edited by lucas287
  • Like 2

The 6.2's sure have a different ECT base table than the 5.3's for whatever reason. If that is indeed a stock setting within your tune.

Here's a 5.3 file and the Multiplier table that can adjust timing based on temp too.

2020-10-12.png

15 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

The 6.2's sure have a different ECT base table than the 5.3's for whatever reason. If that is indeed a stock setting within your tune.

Here's a 5.3 file and the Multiplier table that can adjust timing based on temp too.

2020-10-12.png

Can you show the tables for the LV3? 

Lengthy follow-up for anyone who cares or doesn't and are just bored lol

https://store.katechengines.com/174-degree-gen-5-lt-thermostat-p729.aspx

Important to note: HVAC off during all the measurements listed below.

OE T-stat - 201F start to open, 232F full open (per GM directly)

45mph, steady state, 213-216F ECT, 79F amb

65mph, steady state, 213-216F ECT, 75F amb

53/54mph, steady state, 213F ECT, 107F amb

65mph, steady state, 216F ECT, 107-109F amb

OE t-stat with amb temp 86-88F, ECT rose up to 228F during WOT or with steady state and lower gears/elevated RPMs

Katech 174-181.2F (174F with a tolerance of +7.2 / -0)

45mph, steady state, 181-183F ECT, 64F amb

55mph, steady state, 183F ECT, 64F amb

65mph, steady state, 185-187F ECT, 64F amb

75mph, steady state, 190-194F amb, 64F amb

WOT up to 65/70 ECT peaked 196F with amb temp 64F

45mph, steady state, 187F ECT, 102F amb

66mph, steady state, 198F ECT, 102F amb

70mph, steady state, 199F ECT, 102F amb

75mph, steady state, 203F ECT, 102F amb

WOT up to 75mph, 215F ECT, 102F amb

Question:

After looking at those values, one might ask themselves...with a 174F (+7.2F) t-stat, why are we not seeing lower ECTs? (more so with the warm amb temps)

Answer:

Active grill shutter strategy (just my opinion based off below)

I placed my go-pro on the front bumper and was monitoring the status of the active grill shutters during my drive. Grill shutters are open with vehicle speed 0mph. When accelerating, they would start to close high 20s and be closed about 30mph. When slowing, they would remain closed pretty much until stopped. Obviously, if there is no airflow…no heat exchanged. I have not had much opportunity to mess with measurements and grill shutter status with HVAC on. Wife’s vehicle, our 2nd due in about 2 weeks and coming into winter…not really a priority at the moment. During winter months I am fine with the OE grill shutter strategy, it will help retain heat for heating the passenger compartment. I will revisit the grill shutters in the spring and see what I can figure out going into summer. FWIW, talked with Lew and was hoping he could alter the shutter table (keep OE strategy in Drive and have them open with Tow/Haul engaged…there is no table for him to alter :().

So for now, that's that from my side. :cheers:

• Thanks 1