Caliper, Hub or something else?

I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 w/ 8 speed trans with just over 9k miles. After driving the truck for a while(not sure exact amount of time) but typically half hour to an hour at least. A noise starts to happen on my driver side. The best I can describe it as a dull chirping noise or something rubbing and it varies based on speed. I'm assuming its in the brake system or hub and not the motor as the noise varies based on speed but stops completely once I'm at a dead stop, and is a lot more audible on the driver side then the passenger side. I've taken my truck in before for this issue, but was told they couldn't replicate the problem and even with the truck on the lift, everything is still so new looking that they couldn't tell anything. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. I've scheduled it so I can drive the truck a while before hand and then have the tech come with me, hoping I can get it to replicate the issue while the tech is with me.

Anyone have a similar issue or any insight to point them in the right direction?

It’s your front diff chirping. It’s a well known issue with no fix. Several threads on this. Put it in auto to see if it goes away. If it does it’s most likely your culprit. Once it warms up the stub shaft jingles around making that chirp noise. Gm has had several revisions for their tsb on this and it still has not been successful. Also, another way to tell is if you look under your truck and see if your front diff is an SU4. If so, I could almost guarantee this is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Thejet07 said:

It’s your front diff chirping. It’s a well known issue with no fix. Several threads on this. Put it in auto to see if it goes away. If it does it’s most likely your culprit. Once it warms up the stub shaft jingles around making that chirp noise. Gm has had several revisions for their tsb on this and it still has not been successful. Also, another way to tell is if you look under your truck and see if your front diff is an SU4. If so, I could almost guarantee this is your issue.

Thanks for the info, I plan on trying to make this happen before I go into the dealership tomorrow, so I’ll test that before I actually go in.

No problem, I’ve been through with the dealership multiple times. Like you’ve stated it takes time for it to warm up. It doesn’t do it as much in the winter but warmer weather it gets louder and more frequent and doesn’t take as much time driving to start hearing. As long as you get it documented.

19 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

So I did try the auto when I got it to make the noise again today. You are right, when I put it in Auto the noise went away. I went to the dealership and had the tech come with me and he herd the noise. They looked into it and talked with GM. GM told them they need to replace my axel shaft along with a couple seals. But the parts are on back order. So they said I can come get my truck and they'll call me when they get the part.

14 minutes ago, Thejet07 said:

The “fix” does not fix it. It will come back. I’ve had it repaired multiple times and had my front differential replaced. There is no fix for the su4 diff.

Well that sucks, if the truck keeps making that noise its going to irritate me. If there is no fix short of putting in a new updated diff, could you try lemon lawing the truck? I guess what are you doing about it? 

1 hour ago, Thejet07 said:

I hired a lawyer and settled already. I kept the truck due to low inventory. I purposely put a muffler on so that I can’t hear it now lol. Sorry for the bad news.

Sorry if you already posted this somewhere else, but what was the settlement you and GM agreed on?

Gotcha, well at this point if its not fixable I'll deal with till the point of lemon lawing it and then probably switch to Ram. But who knows how long that will take since I live in Wisconsin and the law states the same issue has to be repaired 4 times and still not fixed or sitting unusable for 30+ days. And well, they still let you drive the truck while it makes the noise and with the parts on back order. Who know how long it will take to get it fixed 4 times.