Thoughts on the General Grabber ATX?

Cupton

Anyone have any experience with the General Grabber ATX now that they have been out for a while? I noticed that they now have a P275/55/20 which is new but I can’t find anything on it. Even the General website doesn’t have that size listed. It’s there on TireBuyer and TireRack and my local shop can get them after I called and confirmed. It’s just strange to me that it’s not listed on Generals website. I’m not really interested in an LT tire.

My current set is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S and it’s been good with the exception of a bad alignment which was my fault. Thinking about my next set which may come sooner rather than later and I was either going to go with the Coopers again or I was looking at the Toyo Open Country AT III. Would like the 3 peak snow rating as well. The Grabber ATX caught my eye when it was released but it was an LT tire and didn’t come in my size. Now they do, so I was curious if anyone caught wind of them and purchased or has any inside info. Maybe they’re too new for that! [emoji6]

Thanks all!

Took a chance this time on the Grabbers. Figured with the high ratings on TireRack and the $100 rebate going on at the moment I’d give them a try. Obviously no review since I just got back from the tire shop (a whopping 6 miles) but I love the way they look and I was really surprised at how quiet they were.

3b5ac0e7fe4d0c6aa76bee6a174036f2.jpg

57d9b121a4fed66a68fffffd9bfa5070.jpg

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 03 Cobra said:

Hey Cupton are you still happy with the Grabbers?  I know it's only been a few more weeks but I'm seriously considering them and I don't know anyone else besides you that has them!  Thanks.

Not many miles on them yet. Maybe a couple hundred. But off the bat I really like them and compared to my Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S which I really liked they are way quieter despite the deeper tread. The Coopers got noisy after I had a tread issue due to a misalignment but even when they were new I don’t remember them being as quiet as the Generals. They also seem to be a softer riding tire on the pavement and bumps. Maybe because they are an SL tire compared to the Coopers which were an XL tire. Obviously no snow test yet but we had a lot of rain this past weekend and the grabbers stuck to the pavement just like my Coopers did. They are a couple pounds heavier according to TireRack compared to my Coopers but I haven’t noticed any MPG change since the switch.

Last I checked the General website still didn’t have this tire listed in my 275/55/20 size. I thought that was weird that other places listed the specs but General still hasn’t. Must be a slow IT dept. ?

Edited by Cupton

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd share how my truck with the ATX's did the other night. Got about 4 inches of snow here in western Pennsylvania and I had to head to the airport to pick up my wife from her flight. I was cruising down the highway before the snow plows got around to clearing them and there was about 2-3 inches of unplowed highway I was cruising down. I was watching cars spinning their wheels and sliding backwards on one particular hill and my truck wasn't even breaking a sweat. Granted I was only going about 45 mph because of all the cars that were around, but still. I was very impressed. What impressed me more than that was when I realized I wasn't even in 4WD at the time. Whoops! Normally, when I can no longer see the pavement because it's covered, thats when I turn the dial to 4Hi. This time it completely slipped my mind because the truck and the ATX's were playing so nicely together. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from an 1,800 mile road trip down through Kentucky and Tennessee. The ATX’s drove nice, smooth and quiet on the all highway trip and got an average of 19.3 mpg for the entire trip. A couple of tanks I was getting 20.5 mpg but the drive home through hilly West Virginia and Pennsylvania took my trip average down.

Got home and noticed there was some weird peeling on the tread and wasn’t sure if it was the roads down there in KY and TN. I thought potholes in western PA were bad, but it seemed like I spent the whole time down in KY and TN trying to dodge potholes way more than I do here at home. Hit quite a few of them and was wondering if that could of caused the peeling? Seems odd that it would but I don’t really know. The ATX is the most aggressive tire I’ve owned, so is this a thing when too much time is spent on a paved pot-holey highway? Tire pressures were set before the trip at 35psi (cold).

I sent a message to General as well asking them.

12800e2408d328beaf18d50d0de1dc1f.jpg

9a4872319fcd1fc846f8508328a9dfaf.jpg

I have LT265/70/18 General ATX that I run for winter. Mine have around 10k miles on them and I haven’t noticed any strange wear patterns on them. I would suggest having your alignment checked. Too much toe-in will cause the outside edges of the tire to wear faster. 

46 minutes ago, HoosierZ said:

I have LT265/70/18 General ATX that I run for winter. Mine have around 10k miles on them and I haven’t noticed any strange wear patterns on them. I would suggest having your alignment checked. Too much toe-in will cause the outside edges of the tire to wear faster. 

Thanks. Alignment was done when the tires were put on and it was all good. That was right before winter so a lot can change in that time, but these are the back tires, not the front. I did have the tires rotated right before the road trip so they WERE on the front but weren’t showing this wear before the trip after they were moved to the back. Curious to hear what Genera has to say when they get back to me. 

Are these LT or P tires?  If LT's, do you think the low pressures caused them to heat up?

They are not LT. They are P tires, 275/55/20. It’s a fairly new size for the ATX and last I checked it’s still not on the General website. TireRack has it listed though. Weird. 

Sunlight and a flashlight seem to enhance every defect. [emoji6] Pictures look way worse zoomed in and outside than just looking at the tire with my normal eyes. Definitely some peeling there though. Checked all 4 tires and in the 6k miles I’ve put on them I’m at 13/32 on all 4. They seem to be wearing nice and even.

I am wondering though if maybe 35psi is too little in the front. They are not an LT tire but they are heftier than my older Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S and certainly the OEM SRA’s that came on the truck. So maybe they do need a little more air than what GM is calling for. I aired up to 37psi this morning.

I did rotate them from the front to the back before the road trip and even though I didn’t notice the peeling, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there before rotating.

Curious to hear what General has to say though.