High Pitched Whine From Engine Area

I'm trying to diagnose a noise that I'm hearing from my engine bay. It's a high pitched whine/whistle that gets louder and higher as the RPMs increase. It's clearly audible over the road and engine noise but the stereo easily covers it up so it's not crazy loud. I have a new alternator and the belts look good. Any ideas what I should check as far as sources?

(And no, I don't have a supercharger)

Not fer nuthin but,I just experienced a "Whine" and its ended up... that the tranny went down...Not good for me as this sent me back many dollars. I'm upside down financially on the truck and also like the truck so trying to buy my way outta this was not an option...good luck to you hope yours is an easy fix...Zeek

Edited by Zeekster
screwed up
  • Thanks 1

That's very interesting... I have a known transmission issue and it's going into the shop tomorrow for that. Maybe I'll mention it to those guys and see what they say.

What was the failure point on your trans?

5 hours ago, SAVA6E said:

My '07 Sierra was whining as you describe, too. I would have never guessed it but it was the Power Steering Pump.

That's an interesting one. The Silverado is getting its transmission work done right now. If the whine is still there when I get it back I'll take a look at the power steering pump.

It was not the transmission. I took a close listen to the front of the engine and I think you might be on to something with the power steering pump. It's a little tricky because the noise is quiet at idle and louder at high rpms but then you also have all the air blowing around and other noises too so. 

Anyways, I'm still working on it

• 3 months later...