Key stuck in ignition of Chevy Colorado 2016 in park

Adam Morehouse

Question

My key is becoming stuck in the ignition in my 2016 Chevy Colorado while the truck is in park. The vehicle registers it is in park and the engine shuts off, but on many instances the key will not release. I've seen some other's post on this issue, but not a clear solution. Does anyone have a known corrective action for this issue? Is this an original part manufacturing non-conformance that presents after certain mileage? My truck is at ~40,000 miles.

7 answers to this question

I had this problem. 2017 Canyon about 39,000 miles.

The park sensor is not signaling park. Hence the key is stuck.

There is a service bulletin on it.

I would start the truck, move it and inch and re-park it.

I wondered if the leather around the shifter was the issue, mine worked it’s way down.

I’ve heard clean your key...etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you put the truck in neutral, shut it off and tried to remove the key it would not go.

I should warn you, my wife drove it to work gave up trying to get it out.. so just left it I. The lot, key in. Took the key fob and locked the doors. 4 hours later Onstar gave me a low battery warning and suggested starting the truck. Remote start would not work as the computer thinks it’s no in park. If you have onstar try it. I’d imagine the key fob won’t work either. My son drove to her work and started it, and the key came out for him after he moved it a little.

Give the dealer a hard time if you take it to them.

Find the service bulletin if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shift knob.  No special policy, special coverage, etc.  Out of warranty = out of pocket unless you want to try for warranty assistance with GM.

PI1429B: Ignition Key Cannot Be Removed and/or Does Not Rotate to the Off Position - (Jun 2, 2017)

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that they cannot remove the ignition key and/or that the key may not fully rotate to the “off” position (Engine does shut off).

Customers may also comment that the shift lever button appears to be already depressed.

This may be caused by the transmission control lever knob assembly not being fully seated when the vehicle was assembled, causing the shifter button to not fully engage/disengage.

Recommendation/Instructions

Technicians should inspect and verify that the transmission control lever knob is fully seated and engaged and operating correctly before replacing any parts. The shifter knob button should stand out (popped out) and NOT have the appearance of being depressed or pushed in.

If the shifter assembly is properly installed and the condition still exists, refer to SI for further diagnosis. If diagnosis finds that the shifter control lever knob needs to be replaced, ONLY replace the transmission control lever knob. DO NOT replace the transmission control.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage (Canada Base Warranty coverage), use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.

• Like 1

Nov 2020 Update - 

I reached out to Chevy and they told me I had to take the truck in to a shop to diagnose the issue. I brought my truck to the closest Chevy Dealership and within an hour they reported there was a failed safety switch in the shift lock control system. This failed safety switch in the shifter assembly required a full replacement of the shifter assembly as I was told it was integral to the assembly.  The dealership had this part in stock and were able to complete the repair within another hour. Since the truck was out of warranty, this was an out of pocket expense totaling ~$600. 

I informed the dealership I intended to reach out to Chevy for reimbursement, since this was an original part manufacturing defect, not operator error. I was sent back and forth between the dealership and Chevy a few times telling me I had to speak to the dealership Customer Experience Manager. The dealership said the max they were allowed to offer was $75 towards the repair with no documentation as to why. I got back in touch with Chevy requesting more details as to why only $75 was being offered. After about a two week period, I received a call stating the dealership informed Chevy that the cause of the failed sensor was "water" damage. However, this was never reported during the shop visit or at any point up to this point. Chevy informed me there was no other appeal process at this point in time. 

Current action is for Chevy, not the dealership, to send a check for ~$80 towards the repair. 

I will say I was pleased with everyone at the Dealership and Chevy that I spoke with on this issue. With that said, I am extremely disappointed in Chevy's customer experience regarding the nature of the failed part. Due to their response, they have lost me as a customer for future vehicle purchases and I will expressing my concern to other family members and friends.

I will be waiting for the recall to be issued for this issue, as from my research it appears others are experience similar issues.  

I have the "key won't come out" problem on my 15,000 miles 2018 GMC Canyon now. It started as an intermittent problem and they ordered shifter parts 3 weeks ago. It became a hard failure 2 weeks ago. I expected the quick low battery collateral problem and left the truck at the dealer. Neither the dealer nor GMC (escalated 2 levels so far) can tell me when the part will get sent to my dealer. Unacceptable parts problem for a "down" truck. I won't be buying GMC again.