2016 2500 Tow Mirror moves on its own.

My passenger mirror has started  moving on its own. Truck has 29K miles on it. No factory warranty. I do have an extended warranty but I just used it yesterday to have a check Engine light fixed O2 sensor)  and the horn replaced. Today I am driving along and the mirror just goes all the way up and out. I move it back and it stays fine but when I start the truck it goes to the extreme range again. Tried resetting the seat preset and turning off the curb assist. 

Any idea what's causing it. I really hate to bring it back in to the dealer for this. I fold the mirrors regularly ( power fold) and that works fine. I am wonder if its a faulty/dirty connector or something. 

7 hours ago, AdioSS said:

Maybe a bad ground?

Thats what I was thinking.  The truck has had a few electrical gremlins. I'll check the connections and see if I can fix it. I really don't want to replace the mirror. 

if all the mirror functions work with the door switch, then you dont have a wiring problem. something is sending a signal to tell the mirror to do this, faulty door switch or memory module is having a brain fart. try disconnecting the battery and then reset the seat memory and mirrors

I was thinking the memory recall here. Does it seem like it moves to the same position each times it moves? If you take your other key fob and unlock your door, does it move the mirror to the same position as you describe? It does it seem like a random movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, silveradosid said:

if all the mirror functions work with the door switch, then you dont have a wiring problem. something is sending a signal to tell the mirror to do this, faulty door switch or memory module is having a brain fart. try disconnecting the battery and then reset the seat memory and mirrors

That was going to be my next step. Everytime I turn the key on it tilts all the way up.  I have tried resetting the program but still does it. 

23 hours ago, pgamboa said:

I was thinking the memory recall here. Does it seem like it moves to the same position each times it moves? If you take your other key fob and unlock your door, does it move the mirror to the same position as you describe? It does it seem like a random movement?

I haven't tried the other key but I will thanks. 

So second key made no difference I was going to disconnect both batteries  and see if that reset things. I tried resetting the program a few more times. Then it started going all the way down instead of up. Reset it again and it moved less down then reset again and it seems to say put. So I don't know what the issue is. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it starts doing it again. It seems like the mirror lost its point of reference. 

• 3 weeks later...
So second key made no difference I was going to disconnect both batteries  and see if that reset things. I tried resetting the program a few more times. Then it started going all the way down instead of up. Reset it again and it moved less down then reset again and it seems to say put. So I don't know what the issue is. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it starts doing it again. It seems like the mirror lost its point of reference. 

Sounds like something is shorting and trigger a command to make the movements. Just not sure what/where to look.