Vin# came off during windshield install

So they are now stickers... While replacing the windshield on an AT4 it came off and the shop said they will have to jump through hoops to get a new vin sticker then pull out the new windshield later to put the vin back on and reuse the windshield. I don’t know if reusing a windshield will eventually leak? I know it is also on the frame and engine and other locations but a sticker VIN is BS!

C41CE83C-2AB4-4739-9B50-FAB743F08BC5.jpeg

AD81A875-B6BE-4822-9840-17E0A18CF055.jpeg

D7BBAE0C-7216-4C37-A659-BCBFDA360E5E.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

Just an update...

GM says they don’t reissue vin decals. So if I want it fixed I have to go the DMV and file for a new VIN which includes a lot of paperwork. Then contact my loan company and insurance and DMV for license plate and registration. 

GM.....this is total BS....put stickers on for vin numbers then don’t offer any fixes when they tear? I am sure many other newer vehicles will run into this in the future. I really don’t want to drive around with a torn VIN...just ridiculous!!!!! ??

Blaming GM is wrong, they are following the Law. The installer is negligent by destroying the VIN.  Blaming GM does not absolve them of liability, seek legal advice from a lawyer.  Might even want to contact your insurance agent, maybe they can do something because a tampered VIN casts a shadow of doubt on the legitimacy of the vehicle.   Maybe not to you but when you go to sell or trade it, issues could could up.   They devalued the vehicle IMO.

Your state  has control so you have no choice but to bow to their regulations to make the vehicle legal.  If you are stopped by police who knows what will transpire, they could impound the vehicle for instance.   Something like that looks suspicious to law enforcement. 

Edited by elcamino
typos

Back in May when I was shopping for a new AT4 I’ve been to a lot of GMC dealers trying to find one. I came across two trucks with fallen VIN decals  at two different dealerships. Both had happened during a windshield replacement. Apparently it’s a common issue replacing the windshield with the new body GM trucks. Even though both trucks were exactly why I was looking for, they couldn’t sell them until DMV cleared them. I was told it was lengthy process because the vehicle was never registered, investigator from the DMV has to verify the new VIN decal matches the VIN that’s stamped all over the vehicle. But the dealers couldn’t install the new decal until then. So yes the dealership can get you a new decal and install it. And no you don’t have to deal with DMV since the vehicle is already registered to you with that VIN. dealership where you purchased the truck can verify the vin matches the truck. If your dealer or GM customer representative gives you more bs I can give you dealership info 

3 hours ago, ChacAT4 said:

Back in May when I was shopping for a new AT4 I’ve been to a lot of GMC dealers trying to find one. I came across two trucks with fallen VIN decals  at two different dealerships. Both had happened during a windshield replacement. Apparently it’s a common issue replacing the windshield with the new body GM trucks. Even though both trucks were exactly why I was looking for, they couldn’t sell them until DMV cleared them. I was told it was lengthy process because the vehicle was never registered, investigator from the DMV has to verify the new VIN decal matches the VIN that’s stamped all over the vehicle. But the dealers couldn’t install the new decal until then. So yes the dealership can get you a new decal and install it. And no you don’t have to deal with DMV since the vehicle is already registered to you with that VIN. dealership where you purchased the truck can verify the vin matches the truck. If your dealer or GM customer representative gives you more bs I can give you dealership info 

The dealer just said even a representative for the dealership could not get the van so yes can you please send me that information I would muchly greatly appreciate it

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 8:14 AM, L87Powered said:

Agree with above, the windshield installer is at fault here. Just use the VIN on the engine compartment and the door jamb. I've been contemplating covering my windshield VIN for privacy/security reasons. 

There's literally no reason to cover the vin#. Thats just tin foil hat material right there. :)