Shock Recommendations

Hi all, long time listener but first time caller.  I got a new 2021 Z71 LTZ Duramax last week.  Put the running boards on and the bed cover this week, all of the functional crap that keeps me in her good graces.  Now time to start on stuff for me.  My last 2 Fords came with these garbage Rancho shocks so I figured I would start there with replacement.  I turned the keys 1 rotation which got me within 1/2" of level which is perfect for me.  The thing is so tall stock if I actually lifted in much more it wont go into my garage.  

All that being said, what is everyone having good luck with for better ride comfort?  I have always gone with the Rancho 9000's for adjustability but if there is something better I would be interested.  New tires eventually but running these for this winter and next summer.  Next set will be BFG TKO2's in some metric version of 35-12.5 on the stock 20"s so basically the same size that came stock.  I appreciate the feedback in advance.

New Truck.jpg

are bilstein 5100 fronts same as 2019 models......checked their website and part numbers are same for both years but want to be sure.....i can call them on monday i suppose

17 hours ago, Dunn said:

are bilstein 5100 fronts same as 2019 models......checked their website and part numbers are same for both years but want to be sure.....i can call them on monday i suppose

I know the Fox shocks are different. I called Fox and they said GM shortened the travel on the 2020s for some reason. Hence the difference in part/travel numbers. 

I am sure the '19s work fine as some suspension companies are spec'ing '19 shocks for their '20 kits. I actually should have gone with the '19 front shock instead of the '20.

Do the Bilseins ride better than a Fox 2.0?

Seems like the Fox shocks are more controlled, not necessarily firmer, but not plush compared to the stock "Ranchos"

In the past every Bilstein I had was way stiffer, seems like that may have changed recently???‍♂️

16 hours ago, kylant said:

Do the Bilseins ride better than a Fox 2.0?

Seems like the Fox shocks are more controlled, not necessarily firmer, but not plush compared to the stock "Ranchos"

In the past every Bilstein I had was way stiffer, seems like that may have changed recently???‍♂️

Based on my previous experiences with them, I would say that there definitely has been improvements with these Bilsteins compared to past options. 

I lucked out and had a chance this time around to try both the Fox and 5160’s with the new truck and I went with the Bilsteins. Both ride great, so there really isn’t a bad choice. But to me, the 5160’s had the slight edge.