In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
BlaineBug

Lacking cargo area illumination in the 2015-2020 models

I've owned my 2019 Yukon for a year now and I've noticed pretty much straight away that the cargo area is entirely un-illuminated.  With the exception of the lights above the 3rd row seating, there is nothing beyond that, which is somewhat rare as most other even smaller SUVs and crossovers have "at least" sub-par cargo area illumination.  I also recognize that this issue would be even more prominent in a longer wheel base Yukon XL or Suburban due to having a larger cargo area behind the 3rd row.

I know there's plenty of things I can add, LED strip lights, LED fixtures, etc.  I'm also electrically savvy so tying them into the factory dome light illumination circuit would not be difficult.  However I'm interested to see what others have done, if they have decided to tackle the issue of having a less-than-ideally illuminated cargo area in their Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade.  Thanks!

i have a '15 burb.   it has 3 lights behind 3rd row.  so hasnt been an issue

i recall someone adding a small LED strip at back

another user bought the 2 light setup from dealer & cut it into back plastic

another drilled & Added 3 or 4 eagle eye LEDs (super bright setup)

Edited by gat0r

5 hours ago, gat0r said:

i have a '15 burb.   it has 3 lights behind 3rd row.  so hasnt been an issue

i recall someone adding a small LED strip at back

another user bought the 2 light setup from dealer & cut it into back plastic

another drilled & Added 3 or 4 eagle eye LEDs (super bright setup)

Would you care to share a picture of those lights in your truck?  I wasn't aware that any of the full size SUVs were given any lights in the cargo area.

It seems that this factory cargo light was only available on 2015 models as per the other threads on TahoeYukonForum.com.  Strange that it was discontinued.

Would you happen to be able to upload a picture of your cargo light that has 3 lights in it?

From the looks of it, the 2 light fixtures have the molded "cutout" in the center for the possible 3rd light.

Strange.  The truck models are becoming more and more about light illumination but then in this instance, the newer models actually had a cargo light deleted.

got to LUV the pencil pushers at GM   hehe

sure i'll get a pic & upload later today

It appears that 2015 models were the only year to receive the 4th cargo area dome light.  It was deleted for the 2016 model year.

4 hours ago, gat0r said:

got to LUV the pencil pushers at GM   hehe

sure i'll get a pic & upload later today

Thanks!

6 hours ago, gat0r said:

3rd-row-lights_sm.jpg

Thanks - awesome!  It's fact that this 4th light fixture was only available on the 2015 model year.  I'm beginning to wonder if it was also only available on the extended length SUVs as well.  The standard length SUVs don't have a lot of flat roof behind the 3rd row light.  If I was going to add lights it would probably be on the plastic trim adjacent to the tailgate.