Trail Boss Lift Options

1 hour ago, 21trailboss said:

You're all over it! I was researching this this weekend....probably as you were writing your post lol. I will end up installing a 6" lift (maybe even 8") for a non trail boss. Will sell everything off my truck except my trail boss CV's. 

So on the lift kit ....I want to take the time to have a complete plan as far as lift company I want to use. Shock company I want to use. Custom wheels and  tires I want. I want all of this in the garage and ready to install in one weekend. This is easily $10k and need to put in the time and research so there are no expensive mistakes. 

Because the rake in the truck is bugging me.... For now Im just going to level the truck with a kit that includes upper control arms. 

nah, just i was gonna get TB in 2019 and looked into what a TB was.......tons of threads on here about them, i ended up with RST which i was gonna do a KING lift on but went different route

i would just sell my stock wheels to recoup cost of new wheelset and put a reputable lift and shocks on there, 1 and done and truck rides, works perfectly.....cheap route rarely works out....not using 4WD auto is HUGE red flag.....youll end up with a good kit eventually, just depends if you wanna buy 1 or 2 cheap ones first and make it more expensive than doing it right first time....i totally understand and have done it that way, live and learn type a deal....

but yeah if you scrap out stock susp you have std silverado (without shocks obviously)....

Edited by Dunn

14 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

I've often wondered this myself.  I don't understand why all the lift companies state "not for TB/AT4".  Isn't the truck returned to a "standard" non-TB/AT4 when the front struts and rear blocks are removed?  The only difference would then be the longer CVs left in the truck.  So, why can't I just order and install any lift kit then?

you can absolutley, no reason whatsoever......i would keep your longer cv shafts obviously

its spacer level/lift kits that are specific to TB or non.....if your still using existing shocks it matters if not it wont

Edited by Dunn

9 hours ago, 21trailboss said:

That makes sense......so I assume your not planning on using auto 4wd? 

I don't really have a use for it. The auto 4wd is more of an all wheel drive for when it snows. Being in louisiana that's not a problem that I have to deal with lol. My truck really doesn't spend much time in 4wd unless I'm at the deer lease. Trucks cost to much now to go beat the crap out of them in the dirt all the time lol

15 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I just ordered Bilstein adjustable 5100s for the front and 5160s for the rear.  I'm going to set the fronts at stock height and run the ReadyLift 2" SST kit.  I just wanted to upgrade to better shocks while I have it all apart installing the ReadyLift kit.

I'm in lake charles. Does the ready lift kit require cutting off the droop limiter from the coil bucket? I'm doing the same as far as the bilsteins go. I'm adding one notch of preload though to offset the weight of my winch and brush guard. Just waiting on my strut compressor to come in now.

13 minutes ago, Unclebud87 said:

I'm in lake charles. Does the ready lift kit require cutting off the droop limiter from the coil bucket? I'm doing the same as far as the bilsteins go. I'm adding one notch of preload though to offset the weight of my winch and brush guard. Just waiting on my strut compressor to come in now.

No, the ReadyLift requires no cutting whatsoever.  

17 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I just ordered Bilstein adjustable 5100s for the front and 5160s for the rear.  I'm going to set the fronts at stock height and run the ReadyLift 2" SST kit.  I just wanted to upgrade to better shocks while I have it all apart installing the ReadyLift kit.

That sounds like a good plan. what did the bilsteins set you back? 

13 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

No, the ReadyLift requires no cutting whatsoever.  

Yes.....this is what I noticed as well....no cutting and no welding.  I have read all the install instructions on a lot of the leveling kits. 

10 hours ago, 21trailboss said:

That sounds like a good plan.

I hope so.  The customer service gals at ReadyLift just gave the generic "the kit was designed around the stock Rancho shocks and has not been tested with other brands so we can't recommend it....blah blah blah"

If I set the Bilsteins to STOCK height (0" lift) when I put the ReadyLift kit on, there will be no difference from how it installs on the stock Ranchos.  A shock is a shock at that point.  They are just covering themselves in case I screw something up.  I texted the national sales manager for ReadyLift and he said "as long as they are set to stock height, there should be no issues".  I'm rolling with it.  I'll be the guinea ?!

Edited by lapoolboy

24 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I hope so.  The customer service gals at ReadyLift just gave the generic "the kit was designed around the stock Rancho shocks and has not been tested with other brands so we can't recommend it....blah blah blah"

If I set the Bilsteins to STOCK height (0" lift) when I put the ReadyLift kit on, there will be no difference from how it installs on the stock Ranchos.  A shock is a shock at that point.  They are just covering themselves in case I screw something up.  I texted the national sales manager for ReadyLift and he said "as long as they are set to stock height, there should be no issues".  I'm rolling with it.  I'll be the guinea ?!

Alright man.....appreciate you taking one for the team! lol

Funny I talked to the customer service gal at readylift also on Friday lol. I was not super confident in her and her answers to my questions.  

After looking at almost every leveling kit out there this was the one I originally settled on I just wasn't fond of the "no auto 4wd"  So then I wanted a full lift kit but after pricing everything out in that regard and looking at a 10k investment. I want to save an plan for it.

Common sense tells me all the leveling  kits with arms or with out for that matter might have the same  auto 4wd issue. So Im back to this kit as well. I will be joining you soon. 

I agree with you if you set the strut package at the same height you should be equal-equal. I think Im going to keep my factory shocks on for now. Let me know how you like the bilsteins.