Check with dealer first

If you have the 3.0 L Duramax, check with the dealer BEFORE you have the oil changed.

For some reason my oil life was down to 15% and the truck (2020 Silverado LTZ) only had 2500 miles on it.

I like to get rid of the factory oil anyway so I took it in for the first (and now only!) warranty service.

After waiting about an hour the service manager came out and told me that my truck was the first 3.0 L they had done an oil change on and they didn't have the oil (Special AC Delco DexosD} in stock!

Nice.

Naturally the Service "Tech" had drained the oil before checking inventory.

Couldn't go to the Autozone which was 1/4 mile away. They had to go to their other dealer 70 miles away. So, 2 hour wait.

Told them to give me a loaner, I didn't care if it wasn't a truck and I would be back next morning.

Service manager couldn't give an explanation for the short oil life. He said it should be double that at 5,000 miles.

The truck was driven little in 10 months so maybe something other than mileage brings down the oil life percentage.

Time may also be a factor.

Service manager though claimed computer only went by mileage.

This wasn't the first time something similar happened.

I had a '92 GMC Typhoon and when I took it in for the first oil change (back when you didn't get free warranty changes.) and got the bill, they charged me for standard oil.

Whoever did the oil change was unaware that the turbo engine required synthetic oil.

They also didn't have the proper oil in stock and I had to bring it back the next day to have the standard oil drained and replaced with the synthetic oil.

Anyways, make sure your dealer has the correct oil first.

Time is a factor, after one year it resets to zero.

Nothing really special about the oil, its just the 3.0L is so new that most oil companies are in no hurry to come out with an alternative 0W-20.  Mobil 1 is the GM oil supplier to AC Delco.

Btw, AMSOIL recently came out with a 0W-20 that meets the spec but they will not license it because they don't want to pay GM for the logo and to be on the list. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Black said:

If you have the 3.0 L Duramax, check with the dealer BEFORE you have the oil changed.

For some reason my oil life was down to 15% and the truck (2020 Silverado LTZ) only had 2500 miles on it.

I like to get rid of the factory oil anyway so I took it in for the first (and now only!) warranty service.

After waiting about an hour the service manager came out and told me that my truck was the first 3.0 L they had done an oil change on and they didn't have the oil (Special AC Delco DexosD} in stock!

Nice.

Naturally the Service "Tech" had drained the oil before checking inventory.

Couldn't go to the Autozone which was 1/4 mile away. They had to go to their other dealer 70 miles away. So, 2 hour wait.

Told them to give me a loaner, I didn't care if it wasn't a truck and I would be back next morning.

Service manager couldn't give an explanation for the short oil life. He said it should be double that at 5,000 miles.

The truck was driven little in 10 months so maybe something other than mileage brings down the oil life percentage.

Time may also be a factor.

Service manager though claimed computer only went by mileage.

This wasn't the first time something similar happened.

I had a '92 GMC Typhoon and when I took it in for the first oil change (back when you didn't get free warranty changes.) and got the bill, they charged me for standard oil.

Whoever did the oil change was unaware that the turbo engine required synthetic oil.

They also didn't have the proper oil in stock and I had to bring it back the next day to have the standard oil drained and replaced with the synthetic oil.

Anyways, make sure your dealer has the correct oil first.

I have also had this problem.  I have almost 20,000 miles and have had the oil changed 5 times.  I have always called the dealer, explained I have this new truck with the 3.0 and that it takes the special new oil.  I then ask if they have it.  They have been out of the oil several times so I had to wait for an oil change.  Once they told me they had it in stock.  I showed up an hour later and they took my truck back and they informed me they did not have the oil after all.  They had removed my oil cap and forgot to put it back on.  I found it under the hood in the recessed compartment on top of the grill.  

It's hit and miss with the oil situation!!  

I have always changed my own oil in all my vehicles but it makes no sense on this truck.  The oil change at the dealer cost the same as if I were to buy the oil and filter alone.  I have searched online and can not find it cheaper in order to save money by doing it at home.

So i wrote about my experience  earlier when i took my new 3.0  in for first oil change.  I did email and call before setting appointment and verified they had correct oil.  I dropped it off at the dealer  and reminded the service advisor about the special oil. Once again no problem.  Picked truck up and took it home and looked at the receipt— WRONG OIL. I took it back and made them change it again with the correct oil. I called the dealer manager and let him know.  Really pathetic...So you can call and check, but verify when picking up. 

15 hours ago, mark1968 said:

So i wrote about my experience  earlier when i took my new 3.0  in for first oil change.  I did email and call before setting appointment and verified they had correct oil.  I dropped it off at the dealer  and reminded the service advisor about the special oil. Once again no problem.  Picked truck up and took it home and looked at the receipt— WRONG OIL. I took it back and made them change it again with the correct oil. I called the dealer manager and let him know.  Really pathetic...So you can call and check, but verify when picking up. 

Yeah, that's crazy.

You would think with a new engine like the 3.0 Duramax, which was built completely new from the ground up, GM would send out special training videos or at least must read emails containing pdf files describing any special treatments for the new engine.

Oh wait! They did send out a bulletin (#19-NA-180)  which is a interesting read, but of course you have to read it and get down to page 12 with the LARGE letters stating dexosD is only to be used.

Apparently my Service Tech read the bulletin, but failed to check inventory before draining the oil.

The dexosD  oil IS different from other synthetics and specially formulated for the unique emissions exhaust system on the 3.0 Duramax.

Mobil 1 claims to be dexosD compliant, but I think I'll stick with ACDELCO at least until other synthetics label the oil as dexosD.

I'll echo what is said above.  I'm 2k miles in on my rig and had to have the infotainment reprogrammed.  It was only then that I should make sure I was using the DexosD.  They have a limited supply and don't guarantee that they will have it in stock.  I'm surprised about how often some of you guys are having to get it changed.  Seems like a lot to me, am I missing something?  I still haven't had to get my initial (1st) done and I'm still showing 75% remaining.  Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, John Kirby said:

I'll echo what is said above.  I'm 2k miles in on my rig and had to have the infotainment reprogrammed.  It was only then that I should make sure I was using the DexosD.  They have a limited supply and don't guarantee that they will have it in stock.  I'm surprised about how often some of you guys are having to get it changed.  Seems like a lot to me, am I missing something?  I still haven't had to get my initial (1st) done and I'm still showing 75% remaining.  Thoughts?

In my case it has to do with how often I use my truck. Apparently the usage will expire after a year and is not determined by only mileage. I had 2500 miles on the truck after 10 months and the oil life was at 17%. In two more months it would have reached 0%.

Most people average 10,000 miles or more and the service manager said the oil life should expire at 5,000 or so.

The same thing will probably happen after every 12 months for me since I don't use the truck a lot.

I guess I can expect an oil change once a year.

Might just trade it in when the electric Silverado comes out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wayne Black said:

In my case it has to do with how often I use my truck. Apparently the usage will expire after a year and is not determined by only mileage. I had 2500 miles on the truck after 10 months and the oil life was at 17%. In two more months it would have reached 0%.

Most people average 10,000 miles or more and the service manager said the oil life should expire at 5,000 or so.

The same thing will probably happen after every 12 months for me since I don't use the truck a lot.

I guess I can expect an oil change once a year.

Might just trade it in when the electric Silverado comes out.

The OLM has a 1 year time countdown.  If its not driven alot, it will run down the OLM based on time at that point.  Gas, diesel, doesn't matter.  Its all how the OLM is programmed.  

Edited by newdude