2000 GMC 1500 Mode actuator

I have a 2000 GMC 1500 that has the 3 knob HVAC , 5 speed blower on left, cold air/hot air one knob center and , air placement knob on right.

has AC also.

My  heater got where it would not blow  hot air to the floor and rear seat this winter, very annoying to have only hot air in your face.

I had changed the  actuator on the bottom of the heater box a couple years ago so I figured it was the one above right of the accelerator pedal, looked to be working while watching it but air never changed, so I ordered a new one.

Knowing I may have trouble replacing it as it has a large 2 groove  cam on the rear of the actuator. I looked up a few videos online to help, well they were less than satisfying as most people are on YOU  Tube, they show more of them selves than a fix.

Warm outside today so I decided to change it out, had some trouble getting it out  as far as other parts removal first, but the 2 white actuator arms were good shape and turn good,.

The new actuator  had the position showing  as a middle position so I place the control in the middle position too which was to the floor air and it moved to the middle position while watching it.

Turned off the power and ignition and removed old actuator.,

That is where I am at now, I have both of them lying on my bench , they are identical except the original has screws , the Dorman I bought has tabs.

The GM one does have a broken main gear thus it does not work right and  didn't put the  white  levers in the correct position  when I removed it, 

I never actually got the new one installed where it was correct, , I moved the levers by hand many times while the  actuator was  showing the middle up position and still never got it to go all the way left( defrost)or right ( face vents) and if it did it would not  come back to center again. 

So I am asking how do I " time", or "clock" the 2 white levers to the actuator?

Did the new actuator "over cam " when it was installed in the wrong position? 

any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

I am not a dunce, I had my own auto repair business thru the 1980s and 1990s, so I know something about mechanic's, just not much about this.

Any advise will be taken seriously.

Thanks 

Ron