Unlock All Doors...

Guys,

My dad just passed away so now his 2003 GMC Sierra becomes mine.  I don't need the truck, but I like the truck, and it has sentimental meaning to me if nothing else, so I don't plan to sell it.  Plus I have a 15 year old son who thinks he may want to drive that truck as his "upgrade car."  I have made my sons start off driving a boring old 2003 Camry, to finish learning (from 16+ when by themselves) how to behave in traffic and negotiate the roads with other people.  If they take care of that car and don't crash it, I give them a bit of an upgrade car.  Still a well used car, but a lot less boring than a Camry.  But the Camry is arguably the best vehicle to learn on.  It is so predictable, reliable, simple to drive that it lets them focus on how to behave ... without also having to learn how to control the car.  So far the older 2 sons upgraded to 6 speed manual mid-2000's Infiniti G35s.  So they know how to behave, all they have to do is add the shifting aspect to what they've already learned.  Anywho, it has worked out well so far.

Previously, when my dad was alive, any time I drove his truck I had to not touch the seat controls, just drive it in his position, and if I adjusted the mirrors I had to put them back when I was done.  Or else he would get pissy about something not set for him.  In my vehicles, I have vowed to not do that when other people use my vehicles.

Now that I don't have to keep things his way in his truck, one of the things I now want to do, if the truck can, is change the unlock keyfob feature.  It's 2 friggin doors ... why the need to split the unlock into 2 button pushes.  When I press the unlock button I want both doors unlocked.  I'm sitting here with with the owner's manual on my lap and I've not been able to find where this keyfob can be reprogrammed to do this.  I have had a few other cars that this could be customized in this way.  

Any word or advice?

my 2004 sierra does the same thing, until I hit the unlock button a few times, then the passenger side unlocks.  Its a security feature I think,  and dont think its fixable to do what you want. Its an old truck Id suggest just hitting the unlock button a few times and be done with it.  The hardest thing I had to deal with is there not being a key option for the passenger door,  that was pretty annoying, but I love my trucks and I am sure so will your son/s.

• Like 1