2021 GMC Sierra Denali remote starter not giving heat

Hi everyone,

So the truck is only 1 week old and remote starting the truck the heat doesn't turn on or the heated seats, all you hear is the fan blowing. I thought if you leave the seats on at night & the heated turned on everything would work. 

Do I turn a setting on? or do all gm trucks act like this even at the Denali trim.

thanks

Go into your settings page on the 8 inch infotainment screen. There is a remote start setting and you can adjust it or turn it on/off. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

4 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Go into your settings page on the 8 inch infotainment screen. There is a remote start setting and you can adjust it or turn it on/off. 

Hi,

I just went to the truck and both heated & cooled seats are turned on, I guess I will visit the dealer as nothing comes on doing the remote state feature.

They don't turn on the indicator lights in the dash on remote start -- even if the features enabled in the menus are running. 

They also turn off when the start button is pushed, so it will be necessary to turn them on again.

This is different than the way they work in some other GMC's -- like the Acadia Denali that has auto heated seats which will turn themselves on when the vehicle is started by button. or by remote. 

The heater function should work too under remote -- but it will run the fan low until the coolant has warmed enough.

Edited by redwngr

I have had 3 GMC with the heated seats including my 2021 and the seat NEVER gets warm in the time allowed during the remote start which is 10 min. The heater relies on the engine and it take time to warm up so it not going to get very warm. Might take the chill out but if really cold like 0 then not much heat. 

My neighbor was complaining about same thing. He has company truck and remote starts it while he puts on his boots etc and  then goes out and turns it on so it run for 30 min before he heads out and be warm. His truck is his office, osha investigator.

Edited by elcamino

I had an '11 with heated seats that lived outside. 

Those seats were not know for getting 'hot' very fast. 

Anyway, truck lived out side and was used every morning. 

During a period with a bunch of 10*F mornings in a row I decide that a 'test' was in order.

I used to key start and drive gently instead of remote and allowing some warm up. 

It was VERY clear that the remote start period had been warming the seats -- even though they still didn't feel warm. 

I suspect that part of the issue is that without a butt on the seat, much of the heat is transferred to the cold cabin. 

If I wanted to do that test today I'd try one of the cheapy 'temperature guns' to measure seat temps the close truck and start with remote before checking again. 

FWIW, this generation they have changed the remote start periods from 10 minutes each to 15 minutes each -- and still permit 2 periods before in-cab starting is required. 

1. Press and release 'lock'
2. Immediately press and hold 'crank' until the turn signal lamps flash or for at least four seconds.

When the vehicle starts, the parking lamps will turn on. The doors will be locked and the climate control system may come on.

The engine will continue to run for 15 minutes.

After 30 seconds, repeat Steps 1 and 2 for a 15-minute time extension.

A maximum of two remote starts, or a single start with an extension, is allowed between ignition cycles.
The vehicle's ignition must be turned on and then back off to use remote start again. 

6.6L duramax's engines (and cab heater) warm much better than 5.3L and 6.2L gassers or the 3.0L dmax. 

No with winter front or block heater on any of them - lots of starts below 10*F and a few below 0*F.

Edited by redwngr