Anyone know anything about this oil? Specifically the 10W30 Race oil which their site notes conforms to API class SM standards. It is a PAO/Group III. Ya know like Mobil 1 use to be before it got greedy? Looking for VOA and first hand knowledge. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

21 hours ago, YYC-SIERRA said:

Did you mean Idemitsu 😉

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Me..make a mistake? Better look again 😉 

Corrected. Thanks YYC-Sierra

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Found this VOA of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 to compare additive packages to the Idemitsu Race 10W30. 

There a darn few PAO's on the market and this is one of them so it has my current attention.

When someone tags an oil 'Race' normally we know it doesn't have enough acid package and too much wear package.

This does not seem the case. Although no base number is given for the Race oil I'd bet dollars to donuts it more than suitable for street use. Idemitsu has a level of moly I've only seen in Red Line HP and yet the wear additives capable of cat damage are very workable. Makes this a choice to be considered for motors that use some oil and yet the owner would like to benefit from a PAO base oil. 

[Linked Image]

If anyone has some experience with this oil in something other than a Wankle Rotary I'd love to hear it. 

I've found sources on line for under $9 a quart.

:lurk:

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/dA/9cfd336ed5/sds-10w30.pdf

On page two of this products SDS I took note of the 60-70% PAO blended with 10-15% 'mixed' mineral oil base stocks. I also note they are solvent dewaxed paraffinic. That's a Group 2 and I hear a gasp in the room. Junk you say??

ALL DEXOS1Gen2 oils contain about the same amount or more of this material for the purpose of 1.) suppressing the aniline point enough to keep the 15% additive package in suspension. And  2.) The Dexos1Gen2 license does not allow and ester or a PAG to be used as a base oil. 

https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STLE_ORG/BOK/LS/Friction/New Base Oils Pose a Challenge for Solubility and Lubricity_tlt article_July09.pdf

What a great read.