Adding oem sliding rear window

I just got delivery of a new at4 but it doesn't have sunroof or rear sliding window. I am going to change the overhead console to one with the switch for the rear window as its the only way to add a garage remote and from another topic on this forum it appears to be plug and play for the remote to work. However, I recently took down the console and noticed a large plug with cable in it unused on top of the console, as you can see in the pictures, and I was wondering if you guys know what this is for? I hope I can buy the sliding rear window and simply plug and play at both ends.

Has anyone done this yet or know of anyone who has?

What is that unused plug for?

18e545a7-b4b4-466a-b438-cd4194cb0cb0.jpg

d1b1df36-669a-40ad-9c5e-7dfe5b63c0a2.jpg

I suggest you read this 217 page thread about the sliding rear window leaks before you decide to install an OEM rear slider.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216705-rear-window-leak/

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• Like 2

Thanks but that doesn’t really worry me, I just sold my 19’ LT TB and never had a single issue with it through its weekly wash, plus very few rainy days where I live. I need that window for work.

• 2 months later...

Doable? Probably but not an easy task for a DIY'r as they are set in urethane and best done by a professional with the proper tools to cut out the existing glass properly and mix the urethane (2 part system).  I am told the tools to cut the urethane are quite pricey as when the replaced the ws in my 2015 the left theirs in my garage and were happy when I called them to tell them I had it.  The person answering the phone said that was a very expensive piece of equipment and they had no idea the installer left it behind as he came 100 miles to install it and had to come back and get it.

I am guessing it will be very expensive for the window + the install as dealer will not do glass, they call a pro. robots set the rear and front glass in the factory.

Edited by elcamino

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:56 AM, viperdad said:

I just got delivery of a new at4 but it doesn't have sunroof or rear sliding window. I am going to change the overhead console to one with the switch for the rear window as its the only way to add a garage remote and from another topic on this forum it appears to be plug and play for the remote to work. However, I recently took down the console and noticed a large plug with cable in it unused on top of the console, as you can see in the pictures, and I was wondering if you guys know what this is for? I hope I can buy the sliding rear window and simply plug and play at both ends.

Has anyone done this yet or know of anyone who has?

What is that unused plug for?

18e545a7-b4b4-466a-b438-cd4194cb0cb0.jpg

d1b1df36-669a-40ad-9c5e-7dfe5b63c0a2.jpg

I’m interested myself were you able to change out to a power slider? Just got a 2021 AT4 like many others had to settle buying with lesser trim. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this post is old but for anyone looking to do this in the future I can confirm that this is possible. Regardless of what a dealer etc may tell you, it’s completely possible. That being said, have no idea if that means it’s universally possible but I was able to do it with my 2020, 3500 SLT crew cab…your experience may differ. I was also confident in tackling this as I used to own an auto glass repair shop and have the skills and tools still to swap the glass myself. 

Before diving in I first verified that I had the window motor pigtail behind the back seat. It’s located on the passenger side and was simply being held in place with the cable stay on one of the unused motor mounting studs on the back wall.

Once I confirmed that it was there I opted to source the overhead console before ordering additional parts. That way I would only be out the expense for It, vs. the full $700ish it cost me to complete the swap. 

My original overhead console was the basic no frills version without the home link setup etc. I was able to pick up a version from a junk yard that had the home link setup and power sliding window button from I believe a 2021 AT4. Once in hand I was able to pull the original console out and test the new one. With test light in hand I was able to confirm that the pigtail behind the seat was receiving power from the new window switch, alternating power to either side of the plug depending on which way the window switch was operating. 

Based off this info I ordered all the parts I needed from one of the online gmc dealers and completed the install today. 

The only hiccup in the entire process was the rear passenger pillar panel had to be trimmed a tad to accommodate the track on the new window. There must be a different panel that went into trucks that have the window installed at the factory. But a bit of quick work with a utility knife I was able to trim just a tad off to clear. Otherwise everything was plug and play. 

And before anyone jumps on the “factory sliders leak” boat…I also completed the tech service bulletin on fixing the issue while I did the install. For me the convenience of being able to access my bed shell from inside the cab is far more important than the potential for leaks now. Especially as I’m confident in my skills in swapping the windows and completing the service bulletin as directed. 

hope this helps the next guy looking to do this swap in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...