at4

that I bought new in January 

experienced severe engine knocking yesterday 

took it in to dealer I bought it from and they think it maybe a stuck lifter 

but they don’t know for sure 

very very frustrating 

could be 7-10 days without my truck 

anyone seen this ?

Yes.  You aren't the only one.  4000 mile Tahoe sitting outside my view here at work getting all 16 lifters and 4 pushrods right now.  Lost a cylinder on each bank.  

GM has dealers replacing all of the lifters on whatever bank(s) there are failed cylinder(s).  You will get it back and it will be good as new.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Having the same problem with the 5.3. Only 2300 mile on it. I was told that GM knows they have a problem. As a result there are no parts available because so many truck across the country are breaking down. I was told that they have know idea how long the truck will be down.

Question

is this issue being caused by the afm?

if so if I get my truck back I’m thinking of Getting the pulse to disable afm

issue :

We are currently in the process of dismantling the affected side of the engine. We have had parts ordered for it. I should know more tomorrow.

Lifter, push rod head bolts and gaskets

On 5/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, newdude said:

Yes.  You aren't the only one.  4000 mile Tahoe sitting outside my view here at work getting all 16 lifters and 4 pushrods right now.  Lost a cylinder on each bank.  

GM has dealers replacing all of the lifters on whatever bank(s) there are failed cylinder(s).  You will get it back and it will be good as new.    

Problem is they just get replaced with the same failing lifters, this has now been an issue with the 6.2 since 2014. Gm clearly has taken the we will just fix the broken ones instead of doing what's right and making a part that won't fail.

6 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Problem is they just get replaced with the same failing lifters, this has now been an issue with the 6.2 since 2014. Gm clearly has taken the we will just fix the broken ones instead of doing what's right and making a part that won't fail.

5.3 as well, same lifters.  Its not always the lifter's fault either.  A mis-time of the VLOM/DFM solenoid can send or pull oil at the wrong time as well.  The bulletin for 2014-2018 trucks they want all AFM lifters on the failed bank(s) replaced as well as the VLOM which now conveniently ships with AFM lifters in the box.  

Edited by newdude

• 1 year later...

I bought my 2021 Chevrolet Silverado LT around April 2021. 
Several days ago the engine started knocking when in operation start up and running operations. Oil levels good and not due for an oil change.

I paid a lot of money for this truck wondering if this problem been reported to GMC.

Its definitely problem they need to know about this issue.

I was so shocked when the Tow truck driver told me that he had to tow 6 of them in one day with the same problem as mind.

Edited by Larry Richardson

So, how about miles, engine, CEL's, loss of power, rough idle while "knocking", drop in fuel economy before it started?

Is your truck still under warranty, did you report it, or file a claim? Have you heard back from dealer? Do you really believe the tow truck driver, or was he just shooting the S**T with you?

Lots of pieces in each puzzle, much easier to solve when they are all there.