4 issues to be resolved

My truck is headed to the dealer again as soon as the parts are in  so they can address and fix 4 issues.

1st one: complete rear end is being replaced due to a leak. GM chose to replace instead of repair.

2nd: Intermediate steering shaft. confirmed bad, will replace. 

3rd: brake squeal. initially said they can't hear/reproduce squeal. However, they have gotten worse. I will push them on it and bring them the bulletin.

4th: truck is now a victim of the leaking rear window issue.

Question:  Have any of the parts or repair procedures for the steering shaft, brakes, and rear window recently been updated?

I see bulletins for the shaft from Jan, with the updated design, but same part number.

Brakes, I see the "old" bulletin stating to replace pads. wondering if they have "newer" updated pads.

and lastly, is the window leak repair the same as the bulletin from Aug '20?

thanks

On 5/19/2021 at 6:36 AM, kylant said:

My truck is headed to the dealer again as soon as the parts are in  so they can address and fix 4 issues.

1st one: complete rear end is being replaced due to a leak. GM chose to replace instead of repair.

2nd: Intermediate steering shaft. confirmed bad, will replace. 

3rd: brake squeal. initially said they can't hear/reproduce squeal. However, they have gotten worse. I will push them on it and bring them the bulletin.

4th: truck is now a victim of the leaking rear window issue.

Question:  Have any of the parts or repair procedures for the steering shaft, brakes, and rear window recently been updated?

I see bulletins for the shaft from Jan, with the updated design, but same part number.

Brakes, I see the "old" bulletin stating to replace pads. wondering if they have "newer" updated pads.

and lastly, is the window leak repair the same as the bulletin from Aug '20?

thanks

My truck went in for the rear window leak in Jan 21 and again in Feb 21. They did not use the bulletin. They stated it did not cover the 21 trucks. It is fixed for now. The second visit they pulled the rear slider and resealed it. They did not replace my steering shaft it is on back order. I have the brake squeal but have not addressed it due to other larger problems. My electronic issues have sent my down the path of lemon Law. Good luck

Edited by baker01

• 2 weeks later...

truck is still in the shop.

they supposedly have done the following:

replaced the steering shaft

replaced the brakes

and "looked" at the window leak, don't know what they did to fix it

they are still waiting on the axle. it was ordered on 5/10. sounds like it may be coming directly from AAM. supposed to find out today where it is at 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

well, truck has been in the shop for 20 days. still no axle. keep getting the run around from parts and the service department. neither can give me a straight answer as to when the axle will arrive, or where it is coming from exactly. sounds like it is coming directly from AAM after it is built.

It was ordered on 5/10 and I was told 10-14 business days. 😡

23 hours ago, 81mmcat said:

i would go get it and drive it,   bring it back when axle arrives just my 2 cents worth

i did that after the 5/10 dealer visit when they said it needs a new rear end. drove it until the 26th when they said the axle would be in. i would go get it, but the dealer is 45 min away and not really convenient to get to 

18 hours ago, Grjfer said:

Did they give you a loaner? If so I'd be treating it like a $20 yard sale lawnmower. 

yes they did. a super sweet trailblazer with 300 miles on it 🙄

Edited by kylant

called parts dept yesterday to find out where my axle is. they said they got all the "parts" in yesterday. Parts?? apparently GM cancelled the whole axle assembly order and said it was not available. instead they sent all the parts to build one. Great, who is going to build it?? I asked the service writer if they were going to send it out to a driveline/diff shop, and he said no. He said they have a "great" rear end guy.

I am not confident to say the least....

On 6/15/2021 at 8:47 AM, kylant said:

i did that after the 5/10 dealer visit when they said it needs a new rear end. drove it until the 26th when they said the axle would be in. i would go get it, but the dealer is 45 min away and not really convenient to get to 

yes they did. a super sweet trailblazer with 300 miles on it 🙄

I'd make them give me a loaner at least comparable to yours. Trailblazer can't haul 16000#

update: 

thursday finally get a call saying my truck is done. it's been at the dealer nearly a month.

friday morning i go down to pick it up. it is in the parking lot. i take a good amount of time looking it over and looking to see if the obvious things were done to it. I noticed right away the front brake pads were not changed, the rears were.

i go into the service office, i get the paperwork. the ISS was replaced, the rear brake pads were replaced, not the fronts, the rear window leak was fixed, and the rear axle housing was replaced/rebuilt. good enough...

i take the truck, drive 2 miles down the road to the store. I come out from the store and notice what appears to be a leak under the rear differential. I thought maybe it was there from another car, so I look. 

The damn new rear differential housing has a hole in it and is leaking oil 😳😡. I cannot believe it. It looks like a casting flaw where there is not any metal there (looks porous). 

Immediately I head back to the dealer. The service writer, service manager, tech who did the repair, and another tech have a look. They are all dumbfounded and cannot believe it. The tech who did the repair said he drove it several miles and checked it out and it was fine. I even checked it out before I took the truck and did not see any leak or problem.

So now they are trying to figure out what to do. The service manger was calling TAC and was going to get back to me. Haven't heard yet what the plan of attack it going to be. 

I don't know what to do at this point. 

I cannot believe that I have had 2 factory defect axles on the same truck. what are the odds??

1st pic shows the leak from new diff, 2nd shows the original leak

D11507E7-820F-481C-9046-2051A6FA7855_1_105_c.jpeg

AE5A909C-83E6-4976-B212-9E9069D39776_1_105_c.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

update:

truck has now been at the dealer for 60 days. 

The second replacement axle was shipped from GM on 6/28, but has yet to arrive at the dealer. and nobody can track it or knows where it is. WTF??? how can a huge piece of steel not be tracked??

there was an update on the part order from 10 days ago that said the axle was at the "unloading cross dock". supposedly that cross dock was in the city, 30 miles away. however, it has not shown up. 

I am so frustrated and just cannot believe/understand how they cannot track such a big part. 😡

1 hour ago, kylant said:

update:

truck has now been at the dealer for 60 days. 

The second replacement axle was shipped from GM on 6/28, but has yet to arrive at the dealer. and nobody can track it or knows where it is. WTF??? how can a huge piece of steel not be tracked??

there was an update on the part order from 10 days ago that said the axle was at the "unloading cross dock". supposedly that cross dock was in the city, 30 miles away. however, it has not shown up. 

I am so frustrated and just cannot believe/understand how they cannot track such a big part. 😡

Your frustration level must be off the chart. Keep flogging that loaner ride and take out a little frustration on it. Hope they get this resolved for you. 

Well, I finally got my truck back after 66 days at the dealer. Everything seems to be good except they did not replace the front brake pads per the TSB, only the rears. Asked why, said pads are on backorder. I said the parts department told me they are in, they called me. Service guy checked, sure enough, they are in under my name. So truck now has to go back again for the pad replacement. 🤬

Intermediate steering shaft seems much better, time will tell. They indeed installed the new part number shaft. It is clearly labeled.

Rear window seems to be fixed (we had good rain, no leak).

New rear axle housing appears to not be leaking 👍🏻